Is it time for City to move on from Kompany & Toure?

No, of course I dont think it was club policy to end up with the oldest club in the league. Why would any club decide on that? Silly question
I believe that FFP had no bearing on it, City were never bothered by that. What happened is that we had a 'fallow' year in limbo with Pellegrinis last season while we waited for Pep to come. Once that happened, Rome isnt built in a day. Eventually he got who he wanted to replace the old guard. That's all

I dont disagree with anything else you said in your post. My post was raising issue with the OPs
Of course we were bothered about our defence, but we had issues in other areas & rightly or wrongly, they took precedence.

Kolarov was a technically gifted player, BUT his lack of pace & stamina was constantly targeted by our opposition & the same can be said about Zabaleta. It's pained me for years to watch them become less & less effective, whilst being targeted more & more by our opposition because of their shortcomings & ultimate failings.

Both Clichy & Sagna had more pace & stamina than the other 2, but alas it wasn't enough to effect our defence the way Walker, Mendy & Danilo have.

When we needed a new right back, Pellegrini went for an ageing Sagna. Why? Well all the evidence shows me that our £49m FFP cap dictated that an experienced but ageing Sagna on a free was our best option considering the other areas of our squad which needed serious attention.

If you honestly think City went out seeking Sagna as a first choice when we had the funds to buy better options, I think you've seriously understimated our predicament at the time & if what you're alluding to is correct (which isn't the case imo), then it's City who are silly & not me for wondering why our full backs weren't replaced years ago.

How you can seriously comment that City's first choice plan was to go forward with 4 full backs in their 30's just beggars belief!

As for Kompany, he is our captain & leader, & I can't express highly enough the confidence it gives me to see him lead us out into battle. He's got credit in spades with us for his years of sterling service, however imho, he's eroded most of that with his insistance on playing for his NT when his body can no longer withstand the additional & unnecessary punishment.

If Kompany had the same injury record, but had given up his International career, we would still have to make solid plans to replace him, but EVERYONE I know would still want him to remain our club captain, to play when fit & inspire & encourage his squad when not.

This growing feeling against our over reliance on Kompany is a realistic one & increasingly of Kompany's own doing.

As for Toure, he & David Silva are the 2 best City players I've ever seen. The difference is that Silva hasn't displayed the attitude bollocks that Toure has in the past & he performs at a world class level for us & Spain consistently.

On Wednesday night, Toure looked like an injured old pro playing in a Masters Tournament. On his day when he's able to turn the clock back, he is still world class, but those days are seemingly becoming further & further apart.

Again I believe that if not for the spectre of FFP, we'd have gone all out to get a back up/competition for Fernandinho & Toure, but Toure in his pomp was one of a kind. It was mentioned that Pep has realised this which is why KDB is playing from a deeper position, as he's being groomed as Toure's successor, which if true leaves another midfield hole to be filled.

Within the next 2 seasons I believe both Kompany & definitely Toure will be gone & we'll be saying our goodbyes to Silva & Fernandinho too. It's gonna be hard to accept, but looking on the bright side, I got over Bell, Kinkladze & Goater, so I'm sure I'll survive. :-)

Possibility that Pep will hold off playing Kompany till after the international break to keep a settled defence and review situation with fitness when he returns

Of course we were bothered about our defence, but we had issues in other areas & rightly or wrongly, they took precedence.

Kolarov was a technically gifted player, BUT his lack of pace & stamina was constantly targeted by our opposition & the same can be said about Zabaleta. It's pained me for years to watch them become less & less effective, whilst being targeted more & more by our opposition because of their shortcomings & ultimate failings.

Both Clichy & Sagna had more pace & stamina than the other 2, but alas it wasn't enough to effect our defence the way Walker, Mendy & Danilo have.

When we needed a new right back, Pellegrini went for an ageing Sagna. Why? Well all the evidence shows me that our £49m FFP cap dictated that an experienced but ageing Sagna on a free was our best option considering the other areas of our squad which needed serious attention.

If you honestly think City went out seeking Sagna as a first choice when we had the funds to buy better options, I think you've seriously understimated our predicament at the time & if what you're alluding to is correct (which isn't the case imo), then it's City who are silly & not me for wondering why our full backs weren't replaced years ago.

How you can seriously comment that City's first choice plan was to go forward with 4 full backs in their 30's just beggars belief!

As for Kompany, he is our captain & leader, & I can't express highly enough the confidence it gives me to see him lead us out into battle. He's got credit in spades with us for his years of sterling service, however imho, he's eroded most of that with his insistance on playing for his NT when his body can no longer withstand the additional & unnecessary punishment.

If Kompany had the same injury record, but had given up his International career, we would still have to make solid plans to replace him, but EVERYONE I know would still want him to remain our club captain, to play when fit & inspire & encourage his squad when not.

This growing feeling against our over reliance on Kompany is a realistic one & increasingly of Kompany's own doing.

As for Toure, he & David Silva are the 2 best City players I've ever seen. The difference is that Silva hasn't displayed the attitude bollocks that Toure has in the past & he performs at a world class level for us & Spain consistently.

On Wednesday night, Toure looked like an injured old pro playing in a Masters Tournament. On his day when he's able to turn the clock back, he is still world class, but those days are seemingly becoming further & further apart.

Again I believe that if not for the spectre of FFP, we'd have gone all out to get a back up/competition for Fernandinho & Toure, but Toure in his pomp was one of a kind. It was mentioned that Pep has realised this which is why KDB is playing from a deeper position, as he's being groomed as Toure's successor, which if true leaves another midfield hole to be filled.

Within the next 2 seasons I believe both Kompany & definitely Toure will be gone & we'll be saying our goodbyes to Silva & Fernandinho too. It's gonna be hard to accept, but looking on the bright side, I got over Bell, Kinkladze & Goater, so I'm sure I'll survive. :-)
cool
?

Kompany will control the team in big games and toure can make a hell of a impact from the bench. Saying that i don't think we'll need Toure next season, old legs easily replaced at this stage in his career.

Vincent Kompany gives international retirement timeline after latest injury – report

vincent-kompany-training-2017.jpg

A number of Vincent Kompany’s injuries at Manchester City have come while on international duty with Belgium, much to the frustration of Roberto Mancini, Manuel Pellegrini and, now, Pep Guardiola.

His latest setback came in the last international break and he has yet to play a minute of football for his club since. Luckily, the rise of John Stones and excellent team performances in general have meant the Blues have been able to cope better than in the past without their inspiring captain.

In an exclusive interview with De Morgen, the 31-year-old said, “I won’t stop playing football after the World Cup, but chances are I’ll stop playing for the national team, and they know that too.

“The more matches you play, the more you are away from home, the more you put your body under pressure, and the less chance you have to stay healthy.”

“If I have to make a decision for my body, I’ll do it without a doubt. And I’ll have a great career with the national team to look back on.”

https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/09/3...tirement-timeline-after-latest-injury-report/

Yeah seems like a good decision on his part, the rest during the international breaks will do wonders for his health

Yeah seems like a good decision on his part, the rest during the international breaks will do wonders for his health
Too little too late mithinks. He's doing it at the probable end of his international career anyway & just when City seem to be looking for a replacement for him. He should have done this 2 years ago

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.