Is it time for City to move on from Kompany & Toure?

Belgium might not have got the chemistry quite right but with the talent in their squad they have the chance to go very deep into the world cup to the semis and with a fair wind even the final. I suspect that's why Vinny isn't retiring from international football and, hand on heart, who can blame him?

I'd prefer it if there were no meaningless qualifiers, we all would, but it's the situation we're in. As I see it, he'll be made to sit out as a quasi-punishment and might even get picked for the league cup next week and we'll be fine for him for a couple of months and then revisit this chat again.

Yaya is a bit part player, was probably kept on for his dressing room influence as much as anything. He will have a role to play and the contract was the right idea, but he'll get a max of around 20 games all season in all comps. As it should be for a pro winding down .

Think both are out next Summer and we will sign 2 big marquee players to replace them.

Kompany is a shame because if he had just retired 2 years ago from international duty he could have played more club games and kept going well in to his mid thirties. Instead evetytime he goes to Belgium he has picked up muscle injuries. You do wonder what amatuer operation the Belgium NT are running the clowns.
Which other Belgian players are always getting injured when on Belgian duty then?

Given that we're in a world cup year. it's possible that Kompany will quit international football after the world cup. which would be reasonable to all sides given age and fitness.

Will he make the squad if he puts his body on the line this season??

He's playing a dangerous game with his long term ability to perform..

The reality is this should be him going to Russia at his peak and retiring from internationals, however I'm not sure he can sustain the 2 to get there!

Based on the last two games I do not think Kompany should walk back into the first Team should he fit for the game against Watford. Stones and Otamendi deserve to be first choice right now

No he doesnt and he shouldnt be expected to. Its the World Cup next year, a peak of an international footballers career. They could even win it. Imagine (without being Alan Fucking Ball) looking back in decades time as a World Cup winner. City can decide they dont want him to be a City player anymore if he plays for his country, but I think you will find all the other internationals in our squad (so virtually all of them) will be very edgy about that and in the future other players will be very reluctant to come here if they think the club discourage them playing for their countries.
He didn't say City should force him to retire. I agree, Kompany should have called it a day on his international career a long time ago.

Stones display last night was every bit as good as Vinnie in his pomp. Granted, not against top notch opposition but I have always thought that John was bought to become Vinnies successor. He is now proving that the club got that spot on. Future captain too.

Up to a point we have moved on from Toure and Kompany, with, for different reasons neither likely to play a prominent role this season.

VK, as others have pointed out should really decide what is most important, extending you're domestic career, or gambling on playing for the National team. Preserving himself and taking the extra rest during the international or pushing his body beyond its obvious limits and ending up injured. VK is and always will be a true legend and should remain at the club, but I do think he should look at the likes of Ledley King and Paul McGrath and understand that he may end up cutting his career short if he doesn't. I think had the right player been available in the summer we would have signed him, but Bonucci the only real top class CB wasn't leaving Italy and the prices banded around for VVD and JFE were absolutely ridiculous, with neither any better than what we already have.

Yaya is a totally different ball game, fantastic player, immense during our title winning seasons, but a grade one pain in the arse during every close season. Links away from the club, birthday cakes and that clown of an agent have tarnished what should have been the golden era of his career. I always felt that he was playing a games with the club and that he could do and say what he wanted because he was too important to be shipped out. He also never seemed to show any genuine loyalty up until last season when all of a sudden he wanted to finish his career with us. I don't understand his mindset, the fans loved him, but he went out of his way to try and ostracise himself, which lost him a lot if respect.

Pep was never going to take any of this nonsense and has dealt with him robustly. I think he will play this season, but his role will be reduced to a calming influence to be brought on in the latter stages of key games where we need to take the sting out of the opposition once we are winning. This is something that he is a master of and requires little physical excursion, which now suits his game.

The future, well Yaya's gone at the end of the year that's a fact and Vinny has some decisions to make and if it's not the right one for the club, Pep will make it for him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.