Is it time to get a big target man?

While Pep is the coach, there will be no stereotypical big man to lump & dump it into the box. A mobile big forward is a different story.

However I remarked on this last season, City under Pep are typically lethal from deep and out wide - they are weakest centrally, particularly in that final third. They need someone who can dribble into the box or time their runs in a low block like a David Villa. The height preoccupation is an exercise in futility, you lot should let go of that fantasy - not under Pep

What are your views regarding Sterling in this City team and Villa in Pep's Barca team? Compare and contrast. I know they play different positions and yet I see similarities.

Pep is our manager, not Big Sam and he delivers almost perfection both results and performances wise with his brand of football and tactics.

We will never have perfection, its an impossibility in Sport and the odd game we dont win shouldn't have fans asking for a "Bigman" up front to lump it to.

We dont need one, target men are for the lumpers n hoofers (rags) et al, that bypass midfield, while Pep is here that wont happen, they way we play at the moment it would be a negative addition to the squad... When you have the talent we have and score as many goals as we do, a target man is not required..!

What are your views regarding Sterling in this City team and Villa in Pep's Barca team? Compare and contrast. I know they play different positions and yet I see similarities.

Among the many players that have improved under Pep, Sterling is truly hard to ignore to the success of City thus far. For me, Sterling is a winger who can play centrally due to his terrific dribbling & passing abilities. Villa could play out wide but he is/was a goalscorer more so than Sterling has been. I'm not sure that that is what Sterling will be most effective at, playing as the principal goalscorer. Someone with Sterling's speed/acceleration is most valuable on the wing and is faster than Villa ever was too

What could work perhaps is leaving Bernardo out wide right and bring Sterling in as a false 9. Problem is that when him & Sane are healthy, they are devastating out wide - not sure there are better dribbling speed merchants like them to stretch defenses. Just need someone centrally like Gabriel Jesus

Last edited:
A tall, strong striker would without a doubt make our front line more well rounded, but it would hinder our style of play if he can't press and is weak technically.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.