Is it time to get a big target man?

No.

Though I do miss Dzeko.

Completely underappreciated when he was here.
Because he controlled it further than I could kick it half the time.

But I’m grateful for what he did here. Scored some very important goals and was a very nice bloke.

Nooo. Pep likes 11 midfielders if possible. West game first half we was to slow with the passing I don’t think a target man will change anything. Don’t change it if it’s not broke.

I don't think we need a big target man necessarily. But A forward who excels in Pep's pass and move one touch football, who just so happens to be a strapping 6 footer would be welcome. Someone in the Lewandowski mold. I don't think we will ever abandon the intricate build up play even in situations like Southampton, nor would I want us to, but we put enough high crosses into the box from open play that a forward who can play Pep's game but also has the capability to get on the end of crosses would not go a miss. Aguero and Jesus are surprisingly good in the air and get a few headers, but surely in world football there's a striking option with the above playing style.

If we can find one who's capable of playing Pep's passing style then yes please. I think we need another striker anyway, otherwise we're an injury away from having to rely on one of Jesus or Aguero. Might as well be something different. Pep's first year at Bayern they massively benefited from Pizarro, Mandzukic and Muller, three big, strong strikers who are all excellent in the air. Mandzukic left and they replaced him with Lewandoski, who's not exactly short himself. Back at Barca he also sanctioned the signing of Ibrahimovic, which didn't work out, but shows he's not averse to using big, strong, tall strikers if their all-round game is good enough.

I would put Mandzu in a category A when it means heading - like a lot of the central defenders - but Lewy and Müller are not. Confronted with a lot of the standard central defenders he often was able to score with his head in the normal matches - but that was not enough for the real great defenders. Then you often needed to be smarter than the defenders like e.g. against United in the CL quarter finals some years ago when Müller was guarded by the central defenders and Mandzukic by Evra... 0

Lewy and Müller aren't much better in that category than a Schweinsteiger, Vidal or Tolisso is.

But Bayern's advantage in this was that they always had 2 decent players in this category that worked together with Müller as a parttime striker. One alone if he is not the real monster does not work fine against the usual 2 central defenders. Last year even that got very difficult in the Bundesliga when all teams started to play 3 central defenders against Bayern.

No,no,no......we need two huge centre backs a full back with a really long throw and Andy Carroll in a later window

Some people just don't get it.We are trying to be world club champions. The best club side on the planet. No side just lumping it will do that.

If we had a big target man we give players an excuse just to lump it. Also it becomes at best a 50/50 thus relinquishing possession.

Liverpool are a top eight side because they are basically Southampton in disguise. We can't become Stoke or West brom in disguise

If you want a target man fook off and support a team like united. This is a decade four times away from joe royles era

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.