Is Manchester getting rougher (or is it just reported more?)

urban genie

Just a question as it seems there are more and more reports of crimes daily on various manc news sites.
Today on MEN alone we habe had.

80yr old man attacked in his home

2 students stabbed in town in broard daylight

homeless man hospitalised in market street after attack.

violent robery of shotguns

Tameside Council workers bricked while cleaning up flood damage.

That's just today.

Recently we have had a
spate of rapes and assaults ( men and women ) in town

Several attacks in Leve

an increase in shootings

Metrolink attack increases

Groups on quad bikes and scramblers harrassing residents and drivers.

And statistically we have the highest crime rate increase in the country.

So is the place getting rougher as whole or is it just that we hear more about it?

Personnally I find it more or less as it has been throughout my life and I feel just as safe here as I always have.

Though I have been on a night out with mates and we have been attacked in the Northern Quarter about 18 months ago by out of town drinkers, but then I expect arguements or fights break out most weekends so don't take that as an example of town being anything than what it is.

Last edited:
Lived here 40 years, never been burgled, punched, or mugged. Work in town every day and been to 1000 football games. Always felt safe.

These things have been happening for years, there are just more and more people and due to better communication it's more widely reported. Other than a good hiding against Everton by scousers with City scarves back in the 70s ( I still want my scarf back you bastards....) never had a problem. Except Derby away, oh and Shrewsbury, and definately Leeds.

Lived here 40 years, never been burgled, punched, or mugged. Work in town every day and been to 1000 football games. Always felt safe.

And same as I said see no difference personally and don't feel less safe than I ever have,
but teenagers getting stabbed on chorlton st in mid morning, sexual assaults in the day in town and further out again in the day and pensioners being battered, is not what you expect to be happening, yes these crimes have ways been around, but the fact they are more openly done seems a worry.

Maybe social media means we hear it as it happens rather than a couple of months later, and agree all cities suffer a lot of crime

Last edited:
These things have been happening for years, there are just more and more people and due to better communication it's more widely reported. Other than a good hiding against Everton by scousers with City scarves back in the 70s ( I still want my scarf back you bastards....) never had a problem. Except Derby away, oh and Shrewsbury, and definately Leeds.

Shrewsbury, how?

I've lived here 28 years and never had so much as a fight. It's the way news is these days, it's not news it's money. Clicks on websites equal cash,and violence and sex sells

I remember going to Shrewsbury in the late 70's for a FA Cup match. The Day passed off peacefully as I remember,unlike at Leeds in the previous round! Went in a local chippy before the game,mixed with the locals,at the time I think they were in the old 3rd division. Big Mal walked across the pitch before the game to wave to us Blues after his return,and we ended up getting beat by them. Highlight of the match was the snowball fight inside and outside the ground between the travelling fans.
In answer to your question,I don't think it's getting rougher,just with the advent of as it happens social media everything gets highlighted more.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.