Is our country divided forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplenose

Over the past couple of years there have been some momentous political upheavals. Brexit and the general election if nothing else has highlighted the deep divisions across much of our society.

I think the country is now in a rapid decline that will only deepen divisions and eventually will lead to some pretty unpleasant domestic conflict within the next decade or two.

Rightly or wrongly my own realisation of how far things have gone was when I evaluated some of my own feelings. I am first and foremost English then British. I have no interest in being European, I have no problem with individuals from any other European country but I feel no affinity with them whatsoever and have no wish to be considered a fellow countryman or anything close. I feel I have much more in common with an Australian, New Zealander, Canadian or American.

It doesnt stop there though, I have also realised that I have nothing in common with anyone who voted remain, or for Corbyn...they are not the same English or British as me as far as I am concerned. Doesnt make them any better or worse but I do not feel any kinship with them. Nor would I ever be in a relationship or close friendship with such a person, doesnt make me wish them any harm, or mean I dislike them as a person but will generally try to have fuck all to do with them. I simply do not wish to live the kind of life they wish for, I despise what they believe in.

I fear for the future of this country, I see little reason to be optimistic regarding the future and can see nothing that could possibly bring the nation together.

Over the past couple of years there have been some momentous political upheavals. Brexit and the general election if nothing else has highlighted the deep divisions across much of our society.

I think the country is now in a rapid decline that will only deepen divisions and eventually will lead to some pretty unpleasant domestic conflict within the next decade or two.

Rightly or wrongly my own realisation of how far things have gone was when I evaluated some of my own feelings. I am first and foremost English then British. I have no interest in being European, I have no problem with individuals from any other European country but I feel no affinity with them whatsoever and have no wish to be considered a fellow countryman or anything close. I feel I have much more in common with an Australian, New Zealander, Canadian or American.

It doesnt stop there though, I have also realised that I have nothing in common with anyone who voted remain, or for Corbyn...they are not the same English or British as me as far as I am concerned. Doesnt make them any better or worse but I do not feel any kinship with them. Nor would I ever be in a relationship or close friendship with such a person, doesnt make me wish them any harm, or mean I dislike them as a person but will generally try to have fuck all to do with them. I simply do not wish to live the kind of life they wish for, I despise what they believe in.

I fear for the future of this country, I see little reason to be optimistic regarding the future and can see nothing that could possibly bring the nation together.
There's plenty wrong with this country as there is with every country in the world, however for the majority of people who live here it's actually pretty good and there's plenty of places that are a lot worse. If you take off your rose tinted spectacles you'll find that things are much better than they used to be.

I agree with pretty much all you say.
Your remarks about no affinity or kinship.. that's a great way of putting it.

I wish I could see things changing but I can't and at the moment.
Im pretty depressed at all the political options so much so that if there was another election tomorrow I probably wouldn't vote. Complete apathy about it all.
If I could move to the countries you mention I would be off like a shot.

There's plenty wrong with this country as there is with every country in the world, however for the majority of people who live here it's actually pretty good and there's plenty of places that are a lot worse. If you take off your rose tinted spectacles you'll find that things are much better than they used to be.

In some respects of course, but those things are more to do with technological advances, material things, but the same can not be said of society in this country. That has been going to hell in a handcart for a good while but seems to have accelerated its plummet toward disaster markedly in the last decade.

I understand you having no affinity to Europe and feeling having more in common with America, Aussies etc at the end of the day their culture is closer to ours I suppose than the Italian or Spanish one and it wouldn't surprise me if their were some from Europe who felt the same

I can't understand the despising anyone with a different political leaning etc as this is what democracy is about and democracy is the cornerstone of most modern societies especially ours

I voted to leave the EU based on sovrienty and democracy more than anything as I didn't want the mob in Brussels making decisions and laws for Britain as they weren't voted into power by the people, it doesn't mean I don't see and get why many voted to remain though

As the old saying goes if we were all the same the world would be a boring place

War is what they want and half the country and some just voted for it.

Strap yourselves in

Be afraid
giphy.gif

I see where you're coming from but I don't think the divisions are that deep, nor will they ever become so deep as to cause conflict imo.
The whole European identity thing which has been spoken about by some lot over the past year or so is a load of rubbish for me. There are too many differences there for there to be any sort of real, shared identity. However, I personally don't have any affinity with the countries OP mentioned. None whatsoever. Having spent a fair amount of time in Spain/Italy, I would have to say that I have far more in common with many of the people I met there than I imagine I would have with Americans or Australians.

Out of curiosity, OP, as you're English before British, do you feel you're closer to Americans/Canadians etc than Scots or Welsh?

I understand you having no affinity to Europe and feeling having more in common with America, Aussies etc at the end of the day their culture is closer to ours I suppose than the Italian or Spanish one and it wouldn't surprise me if their were some from Europe who felt the same

I can't understand the despising anyone with a different political leaning etc as this is what democracy is about and democracy is the cornerstone of most modern societies especially ours

I voted to leave the EU based on sovrienty and democracy more than anything as I didn't want the mob in Brussels making decisions and laws for Britain as they weren't voted into power by the people, it doesn't mean I don't see and get why many voted to remain though

As the old saying goes if we were all the same the world would be a boring place

You need to re read what I said, I despise what they believe in, not the person with a differing view.

I certainly dont knock you for getting along with those who voted different to you...not at all.

I most certainly agree the world would be boring if we were all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.