Is Premier League football becoming less entertaining?

I don't even watch MoTD anymore, I've recorded tons of it, intending to watch over the close season, don't know if I will though.

Maybe the game needs to die to live again.

I don't even watch MoTD anymore, I've recorded tons of it, intending to watch over the close season, don't know if I will though.

Maybe the game needs to die to live again.

Yeah I'm the exact same! Never use to watch us on MoTD when we lost just to save getting annoyed at whatever is said on our game, but I still watched it for the other highlights..... Now I don't even watch it when we win, as I just find most the stuff boring!

I also agree with the game dying to live again, and I think it will die at some point, but like I said previously most clubs don't need the support of their fans anymore as majority of revenue they get else where keeps them stable.

Yes the premier league is on the way down. As in Italy teams are just sitting back with 10 behind the ball, as this is the only way they can get points out of the game against teams like City. Its not great to watch, and even the media are condoning it. Another league will start to take over, The Bundesliga will be next until relegation is so financially crippling that teams will do anything to get points, even if its against the spirit of the game.

Football needs new offside rules as in lacrosse/Ice Hockey where you have to keep three players in the opposition half and four in defence including the keeper. It opens up the field and supports fast attacking play. The current off side rule actually prevents fast breaks. Players should be able to go where they like as long as you have the correct numbers in each half of the pitch.

Exactly. The very expression "The premiership product" as used by Scudamore and the other business leaders underpins the sterile feeling i get from top class football now,and another posters remark about games being played out over the course of three days,thereby giving the impression there isnt a league ..that is how it feels...which of course is completey wrong.Then there is the great disparity in the way games are being reffed ,the strange influence of pigmol or whatever they are called,the souless,atmosphere less new stadiums,the incredible influence of gambling on all levels ....The fact that a gambling company own a premiership club,i ,mean ffs! The live tv expert pundits are all tierd cynical ex players of teams in red...no one wants to listen to them anymore..even little things like being a mascot for the day at a premiership club is no longer special...now half the local school csn be mascots on the same day...whats the fun in that (i see the business acumen) but where is the fun,the one -off event...The silly kick off times..camt remember the last sunday lunchtime game which was any good....The over-zealous security staff..saw the Showsec coach taking its staff home an hour after ths match Thursday night....just exactly where are these gangsters bused in from? All seater stadiums with limited sterile chanting....folk wearing their best clothes to the match,players with designer haircuts and clearly more obsessed with their appearance than putting in the effort....the list seems endless.
Attendance figures are starting to drop...live footy is pretending its "super sunday" but in reality less and less folk agree....

Quite simply,..Football has eaten itself.

Exactly. The other day I was listening to an interview was Scudamore, and it was like listening to David Brent from the office. He just spoke in corporate, office jargon, fans are now 'stakeholders', we're on 'a journey', etc. It felt so cold, soulless, and sterile. I also don't like this '4th is now a trophy' sentiment. I remember when Arsenal pipped Spurs to 4th by winning at Newcastle on the last day. To see their fans and players celebrating, and taking dressing room celebration selfies after, was embarrassing. The likes of Clough and Shankley would be turning in their grave.

But yeah, I agree with a lot of the sentiment in this thread. Best league in the world? Nothing but Sky hype.

This topic has put into words how I've felt over the last few seasons too.

I think back to years ago when just to play the rags was a massive deal and didn't happen that often cos we were out of the top division. Or the idea that beating a team like Liverpool or Arsenal was something you'd think about for years. Now there's just an oversaturation of big games. Same with the champions league I went to the Napoli game and had goosebumps but now it's just pretty standard.

I'm sure you're right that players like Dunne and Goater were also there for the money but it seemed more that they had passion for the club back then. Apart from Kompany I don't really see this in any of our players. I also miss Hart.

I also used to like England and get really into the World Cup and Euros.. I couldn't care less about them now and avoid international football.

I think teams have just become much more focused on winning and sticking to a plan. Some of the traditional big teams who would always attacked have taken on the mantle of Atletico, Dortmund, Juventus etc. with defensive, counter-attacking football. Watching Chelsea, United etc. is dull as fuck, nearly every game we've had against these is like watching a wave just crash against a wall over and over. You can't blame them for winning with it but its become a league of either defensive, counter-attacking teams or attacking, passing teams. That's it. No space for anything in between.

I feel exactly the same as the OP. I feel dirty when I think that I care less but in simple terms, I do. Don't know what's made me feel this way but city used to be my life.

I feel exactly the same as the OP. I feel dirty when I think that I care less but in simple terms, I do. Don't know what's made me feel this way but city used to be my life.

This.

Had to give up my season ticket for financial reason this year. But if I'm being honest I haven't missed it.

Don't think I've watched a full 90 mins featuring anybody on tv all season

Yes I think it certainly has

I ditched Sky and BT and now I only watch City on TV if not at game
Issues that are making things worse:
Referee incompetence / corruption
Seeing our players get no protection from the tackle from behind
The biased commentators and spiteful rag loving media
Bus Parking teams who don't want to play football, just waste time and try and nick a point
Atmosphere at home games - Fellow fans complaining of you make a bit of noise or get behingpd the team (sterile environment)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.