Is there a case for recalling Fernando

Marvin

We're in a good period now. Winning games, playing well. Jesus, Sane and Sterling playing particularly well and hopefully the injury to Jesus is minor. But is the balance between defence and attack OK?

I listened to Pep after the game, and he was very pleased with our last 10 minutes. He emphasised that the best way to defend if to pass pass pass and keep the ball.

I agree with that. I think everyone would, but if this season has emphasised anything it is that 80% possession can still lead to lots of goals conceded.

Midway through the season we had 80% possession in games and were struggling to score goals, and we were conceding on the counter. Since Sane and Jesus came in, I think our attacking play has gone up a level. But I think we are going to always be defensively vulnerable whilst we persist with 6 attacking players and 4 defenders.

When we have Silva, De Bruyne, Sane, Sterling, Jesus in the team, isn't there a case for playing someone like Fernando in front of the defence? There are times in the game when we will lose the ball in attacking areas, or misplace a pass, and at those times I think defensively we are vulnerable. I have lost count this season of the number of times this season when we have totally dominated a game and then see the opposition just waltz through on one of their rare attacks and score a goal. Bravo has taken the flak for that, but for me it is almost entirely down to the wide open way in which we play

We have improved offensively with the acquisition of Sane and Jesus. A couple of months ago we were struggling to create and we needed attacking players on the pitch. Now that we are playing well going forward, would we not be defensively stronger as a team by recalling Fernando to protect the defence. Undoubtedly his passing range is not the best, but his defensive attributes are outstanding, and when you have Silva, KDB, and a front 3 of Jesus, Sterling and Sane, I think we would still score goals and be tighter at the back.

Toure is still a much better footballer than Fernando and as we have the ball much more than the opposition Toure is the correct option, maybe not the answer, but at this moment the right option
I like Fernando as a player and he does look much better this season when he's had a chance, but I think it's all about how good our defenders and goalie are, rather than looking to Fernando

Pep has been slated on this website for constant changes, forced by injuries for most of them in my opinion. Now he has a settled team so why should we change it??
Yes he might change it for the fa cup game with Monaco coming up but for any prem game the lineup last starts if possible.

You still need a conduit between defence and attack and that's where Fernando falls down, his passing is just not up to standard to enable him to start moves from deep, this is where Yaya excels.

You say we have improved offensively with Sané and Jesus, this is true but it's also fair to say them two have helped us defensively as the high press is a lot more intense with the young legs in up front.

For the FA cup game I would rest Yaya and Fernandinho and play Fernando and Delph.

But long term we should be growing our own in the academy and only ever signing big money superstars. The end of the squadie-signings is hopefully not too far off.

Toure is still a much better footballer than Fernando and as we have the ball much more than the opposition Toure is the correct option, maybe not the answer, but at this moment the right option
I like Fernando as a player and he does look much better this season when he's had a chance, but I think it's all about how good our defenders and goalie are, rather than looking to Fernando
No doubt we could improve our defence if we had younger faster players in there or we could find the old Kompany, but even if we could I still think we'd struggle to handle a Liverpool, or Spurs breaking on us. many teams are comfortable playing without the ball and are set up to play counter-attacking football against us. We can hold sway for 3/4 of a game, play the game on the opponents penalty area, but we always look vulnerable to counter-attacks.

After our vibrant start faded, we struggled to score goals as well and I could see why Guardiola went for the tried and trusted Toure, particularly when Gundogan got injured, but now that Sane, Sterling and Jesus seem able to create opportunities for themselves, fed by Silva and KDB, I think the balance would be better overall by playing a more defence minded player.

I think there's a very good chance fernando will play against Monaco, and I think this is the right time now to make this change in the league games too.

You still need a conduit between defence and attack and that's where Fernando falls down, his passing is just not up to standard to enable him to start moves from deep, this is where Yaya excels.

You say we have improved offensively with Sané and Jesus, this is true but it's also fair to say them two have helped us defensively as the high press is a lot more intense with the young legs in up front.
That is true. I think Fernando is easily capable of playing simple football, and it might not be so comfortable on the eye, but at the moment I think City can concede at any moment. I'd rather have the defensive protection, and I think City are good enough going forward to still score goals with the extra defensive player.

Fernando for me is the guy you bring on to see the game out?
He has been used that way, but wouldn't we be better as an all round team with him in there? I think Silva, KDB, Sterling, Jesus/Aguero and Sane would still be able to score goals.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.