Islamic Terrorism: is religion/belief no matter how misguided, the main motivator?

There's literally no way in the world to estimate this that is statistically sound. Wouldn't mind posting the source would you? Would like to see their methodology

Source - UK security Services.

What does that figure mean? 23,000 who are known to have fought in Libya, Syria etc? Or does it mean 23,000 people notified to MI5 as potential leads, which is a very different thing?

I suspect Xiphos isn't too bothered about such technicalities, and will treat the 23.000 (sic) figure as gospel.

To quote the article itself, "about 3,000 are judged to pose a threat". Still a fairly alarming figure, but not quite as disingenuous eh.

Ric - i know - 3000 or 23,000 it does not matter as long as we can stop another attack happening. I spoke to my Muslim mate tonight and he is as baffled as us. Said he had been visiting mosques for 30 odd years and had never seen an extremist and as he said that could have been my daughter at that concert. I do not understand where it is coming from? Is it radicalisation over the net? Would control over the internet help combat it?

To quote the article itself, "about 3,000 are judged to pose a threat". Still a fairly alarming figure, but not quite as disingenuous eh.
Even that figure may not be wholly accurate in the context it's being reported. These are probably what are known as a "Subject of Interest" (SoI) who MI5 believe may be worthy of keeping tabs on in some way. When they add them to the watch-list they grade them as Priority 1-4 (with two sub-categories in 1 and 2) depending on the perceived risk and in Tiers 1-3, depending on how important they are seen to be. So the head of a network, a financier or a recruiter may be Priority 1/Tier 1 but may be a lower priority if they're not seen as posing an immediate risk. Where they are in the list will determine what resources are applied to investigating them and how intrusive the surveillance needs to be.

So there may be 3,000 on that list in all, including P4/T3 leads or it may be that there are 3,000 in higher risk categories (P1-2/T1 say).

Even that figure may not be wholly accurate in the context it's being reported. These are probably what are known as a "Subject of Interest" (SoI) who MI5 believe may be worthy of keeping tabs on in some way. When they add them to the watch-list they grade them as Priority 1-4 (with two sub-categories in 1 and 2) depending on the perceived risk and in Tiers 1-3, depending on how important they are seen to be. So the head of a network, a financier or a recruiter may be Priority 1/Tier 1 but may be a lower priority if they're not seen as posing an immediate risk. Where they are in the list will determine what resources are applied to investigating them and how intrusive the surveillance needs to be.

So there may be 3,000 on that list in all, including P4/T3 leads or it may be that there are 3,000 in higher risk categories (P1-2/T1 say).

Can i ask you what you would do with the 3000?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.