Islamic Terrorism: is religion/belief no matter how misguided, the main motivator?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Magicpole, 24 May 2017.

1. chedlee

chedlee

I don't know how you can be so certain.

It still doesn't explain why an established Islamic state has not been involved in any western terrorist incident in the way ISIS/ISIL have if it is central tenet of their beliefs. Do they just not believe it enough or is not really part of mainstream Islam at all?

2. CitizenTID

CitizenTID

Can I get some /5* reviews on this white paper before i consider reading it? ;)

3. chedlee

chedlee

Interesting post, thanks, I bow to your knowledge of the different strands of Islam.

Have you read Age of Anger by Pankaj Mishra? If not I recommend it if you are interested in why the world seems so pissed off all the time.

4. kevin horlocks wand

kevin horlocks wand

There should be no religious education taught at any school. None. If people want to practice faith they can do so in their own time and expense

That goes for catholic schools, Jewish schools, c of e school and Muslim schools.

It just creates divisions from an early age and teaching of one faith.

How can we create a multicultural society when we stick them in silos from age of 4.

Also I am still not sure how any religion reconciles the existence of dinasour fossils and bones with their religious texts, but hey I am sure there is a convenient excuse.

5. chedlee

chedlee

More wealth and more power.

6. Magicpole

Magicpole

Low Intelligence Officer
    Iran has funded terrorism since 1979.

7. Pablo1

Pablo1

I hope there isn't a God as I'll be fucked when I get to the Pearly Gates.

8. Prestwich_Blue

Prestwich_Blue

And was almost certainly behind the Lockerbie bombing, although that was much more political than religious.

9. chedlee

chedlee

As has the UK, USA, Russia etc.

Do you have the names of specific terrorist groups they have funded in that time?

Also have any of these groups carried out attributable terrorist acts on what we might describe as western soil (US, Europe) in the way we are seeing them now?

10. che_don_john

che_don_john

Well, on Trump, that's 'whatabout-ism'. We're not talking about the U.S., but Iran, and they interfered in their election in a big way (and then suppressed the green protest movement). Whatever Trump did doesn't take away from what happened in Iran.

Yes, post-Kohemeini Iran is very different today to how it was in the 60s and 70s. Had you said that 60s/70s Iran showed how progressive an Islamic nation could be, I'd have agreed wholeheartedly! It's almost heartbreaking seeing photos from that time and hearing stories from Iranians about how positive things were back then

Women's education there has improved (although, you could argue that the improvement is at a consistent rate with most other developing nations, rather than being anything special about Iran - but that's not an argument I'd make), but again that's a bit of a red herring because it still hasn't changed how, for example, female rape victims are treated, or how women with abusive husbands and seeking divorce are handled.

I agree with the sentiment of your point but I don't think that Iran is the best example to use - it is almost the very definition of a theocratic state. I think a better example might be Jordan (like you say with Iran, not perfect but in the context pretty good), or maybe even Turkey pre-Erdogan.