It was eighteen years ago today.....

Watched In Minorca with my now wife. She wasn't impressed with my mood at final whistle. Was it port vale that stayed up at our expense, remember someone gobbing off about the mighty vale, I think.
Had had a few beers
Yeah Huddersfield rolled over at home and their fans were cheering the Vale goals (I was told this by a Hudders fan I was working with). As with others it was a case of trying to get over that bridge in one piece and then back to the car. Horrible day all round.

A horrible season and day. It seemed like every team we played had some bastard who just happened to be a City fan as a kid and always seemed to score against us.I used to think,''If you support/supported us couldn't you have just skied it over??''

I remember I had started seeing this woman from Wiltshire of all places.It was my birthday and Valentines day this weekend so she came up to Manchester and wanted to go to Maine Road as she knew how much City meant to me so I got her a ticket.....against Bury! It was freezing cold and we lost 0-1 in a game that has since been voted the worst game ever on a lot of fans forums.It was dire,in a season of dire.As we left she said to me ''You must be absolutely mad supporting this lot and going through this every week!''...I had to agree lol!!!

Onto the Stoke game I was working nights on the ship.I got up early and was following the scores on sky sports. If I remember rightly if one of the teams at the bottom drew or lost and we won we would be safe.In typical City fashion we won 5-2 and everyone else won as well so we were relegated!

I started work and all the deckhands had made black armbands out of bin liners and were waiting for me the bastards! I then had to take stick off all the plastic rags until I shut them up by saying I would gladly take stick off any one of them who had been to the swamp or even watched the rags live.There was silence and the rest of the messroom applauded when I said,''I go every week I am not working and will be there next season,third division or not!''

Bad days but in some ways happy too.

I'm not a fighter but I remember having to barge, kick, punch my way to get across some footbridge and then not knowing where I was when I got to the other side and dreading having to go back over bridge again. Dodging bricks and sticks.

Absolutely awful day, was only a kid but I remember dreading school the following day because I knew I would get so much stick, and I did. It was relentless and went on for months. But the worse thing was it wasn't United fans, it was Stockport County fans. They were a division above us and didn't they want us all to know it. United fans weren't interested anymore, some of them were almost sympathetic. Crazy to think that in 24 hours time we could be in the Champions League final.

Always remember the train on the way back pulling into Macc and the announcement "Next stop Macclesfield"

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry

Ahh Stockport and their fans.How they took great delight in mocking our demise....revenge is a dish best eaten cold eh?

Yep can remember it like it was yesterday. I think I'd become numbed to the pain at that point as it didn't seem to hit me as hard as the one couple of years previous. Maybe it was just shock. Or because we had gone down fighting, quite literally in a few people's cases. I can remember the journey back to Manchester on the train as being very very quiet. I look back on supporting city at that time with a lot of fondness now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.