It's time to buy a new TV

I did pal and listed earlier in thread..

Here we go

Samsung 7000
Samsung 8000
Hisense M7000
Panasonic 902
Ld oled 55 inch B6V

The Hisense have a five year warranty so whats not to like and the profesional reviews on line are tip top.
The Hisense M7000 looks very good and if it came in at under the 1k mark then I would strike !
Black friday will soon be upon us.

I also have a few reserves up my sleeve in case the prices I want are not forthcoming.
I have my eye on A Sony bravia 65 incher which isnt named in my first squad .
Details to follow..

My advise is to read read and read again and have a good look on the AV forums for inspiration and advice.
I need a big screen with tip top picture and future proofing
Has to be 4 k and would consider dropping back to a 55 incher but only for an OLED vertion.

Nine sleeps to go.

Cheers pal , very informative and entertaining read as always , am off to read read and read some forums .

Good man !

I would chat more but am in a bit of a predicament at the moment.
Caught me at a bad time and just a little busy.

Have a look on the AV Forums and check out the hisence M7000
For a middle ranger it has all the right atributes offering pounds per bucks value for the price savvy consumer..

Yes there is better out there if you can stretch to OLED or top end samsung 8000 and 9000 series but for value and quality it's not a bad offing.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth. LGs and Samsungs are the only TVs which will run Certain IPTV apps which may allow you to watch every footy game including all the Saturday 3:00 kick offs.
Natively my Panasonic gt50 wont run Plex.....though DLNA server in Panasonic tools makes short shrift of finding the PC sever and easy as pie finds any shared servers not on my network. though it doesn't pick up any restreamed live tv but VOD is a puddle of pissola

For what it's worth. LGs and Samsungs are the only TVs which will run Certain IPTV apps which may allow you to watch every footy game including all the Saturday 3:00 kick offs.

I can watch live 3pm kick off streams on my Hisense, cost me around £30 a year for the subscription.

Good man !

I would chat more but am in a bit of a predicament at the moment.
Caught me at a bad time and just a little busy.

Have a look on the AV Forums and check out the hisence M7000
For a middle ranger it has all the right atributes offering pounds per bucks value for the price savvy consumer..

Yes there is better out there if you can stretch to OLED or top end samsung 8000 and 9000 series but for value and quality it's not a bad offing.

I paid around £700 for my 58" 4K Hisense a year ago, but I don't live in the capitalist west ;)

Natively my Panasonic gt50 wont run Plex.....though DLNA server in Panasonic tools makes short shrift of finding the PC sever and easy as pie finds any shared servers not on my network. though it doesn't pick up any restreamed live tv but VOD is a puddle of pissola

I am a little out of touch with TV´s and their capabilities but is it necessary for the TV´s software to be capable of starting then running particular apps ?

I ask because it has always been the case that TV makers charge a premium for apps included within a particular set and I have previously found it much more cost efficient to select as basic a TV as possible merely to show the picture then use an external box to house and run the apps for simply viewing on the best available simple display unit.

Yes full calibration can be expensive but as previously posted on this thread (by blueinsa) there is a lot you can do to make any TV perform better than its out of the box condition.

May I suggest you download this free disc from the AVS forum and follow the procedures explained in the dialogue.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

It will cost nothing in money just your time to burn it to disc.

I may be controversial in saying that I think pro calibration is a complete waste of money. Yes, you get a more accurate picture, but imho you don't get a "better" picture, in that the eyes are terrible colorimeters anyway and are in fact incapable of determining corrects hues and white balance. So the fact that your calibated TV's colours are spot on, is somewhat irrelevant.

I would agree with your advice entirely - just set up the TV yourself using some basic test patterns.

Your need to do 4 things:

1. Put the picture on a Warm setting (Warm1 or Warm2 typically). NOT normal, or god forbid cool!

2. Set the black level high enough such that you can just discern the darkest details, whilst at the same time enuring that things that should be black are as black as they can be. i.e. you don't want everything to be black with no detail.

3. Set the contrast as high as possible, but low enough so that you can determine the differences between the very brightest things on screen. i.e. you don't want everything to be pure white with no detail.

4. Adjust the backlight so that the picture is bright enough (or dark enough).

Once you've done all that, you'll have a picture that is pretty much as good to if you've had in professionally calibrated.

(Speaking as someone who's owned plasmas since 1999, now OLED and have several pro calibrations and I have my own pro colorimeter. I've come to the conclusion it isn't worth it.)

I am a little out of touch with TV´s and their capabilities but is it necessary for the TV´s software to be capable of starting then running particular apps ?

I ask because it has always been the case that TV makers charge a premium for apps included within a particular set and I have previously found it much more cost efficient to select as basic a TV as possible merely to show the picture then use an external box to house and run the apps for simply viewing on the best available simple display unit.

as a rule 100% agree pal, a £35 quid firestick chromecast would be all you need to makes a smart tv smarter.

where mine bears fruit is the external playback options built into the TV as standard. MKV playback from ext media, and a built in DNLA server allowing playback of any media shares on my network.

simple terms i've given share permissions on my PC to my download folder and have the free plex server software running from start up (plex is so fecking handy for multiple different devices). can watch anything on my big screen that way

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.