It's time to buy a new TV

as a rule 100% agree pal, a £35 quid firestick chromecast would be all you need to makes a smart tv smarter.

where mine bears fruit is the external playback options built into the TV as standard. MKV playback from ext media, and a built in DNLA server allowing playback of any media shares on my network.

simple terms i've given share permissions on my PC to my download folder and have the free plex server software running from start up (plex is so fecking handy for multiple different devices). can watch anything on my big screen that way

Ah, I see so much the same as you get on a Blu Ray player or for that matter a video streamer.
obviously if you get all these already on your TV then great but usually less expensive to have them external because TV's are so slimline that there tends to be less room these days for audio speakers and video chips that can be anything other than functional to that particular TV.

I may be controversial in saying that I think pro calibration is a complete waste of money. Yes, you get a more accurate picture, but imho you don't get a "better" picture, in that the eyes are terrible colorimeters anyway and are in fact incapable of determining corrects hues and white balance. So the fact that your calibated TV's colours are spot on, is somewhat irrelevant.

I would agree with your advice entirely - just set up the TV yourself using some basic test patterns.

Your need to do 4 things:

1. Put the picture on a Warm setting (Warm1 or Warm2 typically). NOT normal, or god forbid cool!

2. Set the black level high enough such that you can just discern the darkest details, whilst at the same time enuring that things that should be black are as black as they can be. i.e. you don't want everything to be black with no detail.

3. Set the contrast as high as possible, but low enough so that you can determine the differences between the very brightest things on screen. i.e. you don't want everything to be pure white with no detail.

4. Adjust the backlight so that the picture is bright enough (or dark enough).

Once you've done all that, you'll have a picture that is pretty much as good to if you've had in professionally calibrated.

(Speaking as someone who's owned plasmas since 1999, now OLED and have several pro calibrations and I have my own pro colorimeter. I've come to the conclusion it isn't worth it.)

Hi Chippy_boy.

Yes, I think you are right about human eyes. We adjust very easily to whatever we receive but the point that I tried to make is that from shooting the footage to distribution to our TV then standards are met to ensure that it is exactly how the directer of the footage wanted it to be distributed. The Blu rays are mastered to these standards with the expectation that the purchaser may see this film in the same way that it was directed and produced.

Obviously if it is not important to you to see it in its original form then just play with your TV until it gives you your combination of colours, brightness, contrast etc that you like, or at least get your white not too blue (usually very blue) and adjust brightness (actually blackness) and contrast correctly.

Cannot comment about professional calibration but like yourself I have used good spectro calibrated colorimeters with various software to give me results that I have thought to be worthwhile but it all depends on how accurate it was in the first place before you adjusted it to be correct of course.
My experience is that DIY calibration was worthwhile on the panels that I bought although I must admit I never owned say a Pioneer plasma just bog standard LED´s with the usual backlight arrays.
Currently got a Hisense 4K LED which I am very impressed with.

Hi Chippy_boy.

Yes, I think you are right about human eyes. We adjust very easily to whatever we receive but the point that I tried to make is that from shooting the footage to distribution to our TV then standards are met to ensure that it is exactly how the directer of the footage wanted it to be distributed. The Blu rays are mastered to these standards with the expectation that the purchaser may see this film in the same way that it was directed and produced.

Obviously if it is not important to you to see it in its original form then just play with your TV until it gives you your combination of colours, brightness, contrast etc that you like, or at least get your white not too blue (usually very blue) and adjust brightness (actually blackness) and contrast correctly.

Cannot comment about professional calibration but like yourself I have used good spectro calibrated colorimeters with various software to give me results that I have thought to be worthwhile but it all depends on how accurate it was in the first place before you adjusted it to be correct of course.
My experience is that DIY calibration was worthwhile on the panels that I bought although I must admit I never owned say a Pioneer plasma just bog standard LED´s with the usual backlight arrays.
Currently got a Hisense 4K LED which I am very impressed with.

Agree completely. FWIW I started out with a Panasonic pro plasma back in 99 I think (might have been 2000) and had several subsequent Panasonics before getting a Pioneer Kuro 5 or so years ago. Sadly it went tits up about a year back, so I then bought a 65" OLED, which to be honest is a very much a mixed bag, despite the hype! The blacks are of course *black*, but the near-blacks are terrible with visible banding and blockiness, and the whites are all over the place with parts of the screen blue and other parts yellow. About the only good thing it does is the absolute black, and the corresponding "pop" to the picture. But in terms of accuracy, the Pioneer was *miles* better.

I've been very impressed with the Hisense top end LCD TV and also the Panasonic and to be honest I think I'd rather have bought one of those and saved some money. I don't think OLED manufacturing challenges are fully ironed out yet. At least they weren't 1 year ago.

In my last post I mentioned white not being too blue. Stupid statement really because there is nothing for us to compare it with.

To find out what colour your white should really be then view a white picture (ideally the 100% white on a calibration disc) via your laptop onto the TV and compare them.
Then find the best match for the laptop white by changing the warm, cool, normal settings on your TV then always view with that setting.
Strange as it may seem the graphics card on a laptop is usually very accurate and is often used to generate the patterns that software sets your TV colours with.

Why they make laptops accurate yet forget this for TV´s beggers belief but I´m afraid that is the case.

Ah, I see so much the same as you get on a Blu Ray player or for that matter a video streamer.
obviously if you get all these already on your TV then great but usually less expensive to have them external because TV's are so slimline that there tends to be less room these days for audio speakers and video chips that can be anything other than functional to that particular TV.

I'm no expert mate, i can say that Panasonic gt50 use a app server(no local data stored) so nothing bar a few chips extra i guess would be needed.

Has anyone got a basic smart telly? i don't want something complicated with 3d 4d etc but i need to be able to hook it up to the internet and computer

I'm no expert mate, i can say that Panasonic gt50 use a app server(no local data stored) so nothing bar a few chips extra i guess would be needed.

Like you I´m not an expert but my observation has been that TV´s used to be built where anything smart got a massive hike in price despite being technologically only peanuts different within the TV.
Perhaps things have changed but I look at anything new like curved screen or previously 3D or even perhaps OLED technology and prices are vastly different.
Can´t do anything about OLED or curved screen until volumes catch up but apps and other technology can usually be included at better prices as external units is what I am trying to say.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.