It's time to buy a new TV

Future my arse. We had a little black and white in a funny cabinet that we all had to take turns fiddling with the knob at the back to stop it "slipping"...

We were happy then.

Make sure any TV is smart.
When you decide go to Richersounds.
All TVs come with a free 6 year warranty and Richersounds warranties are great.
Get a problem you usually get a new TV.

if you have a humax/sky box then there is no need for the tv to be smart as well. Generally all tvs are smart these days anyway. 4k is only worth it on tv's 50 inch plus so if you're looking at a 40 inch get a 1080p with better specs such as higher refresh rate.

I bought a Panasonic 3d for £1000 cash would i go panasonic again....would I bollox like.
Exceptional though they are picture wise the OS is locked tighter than a 70s politicians closet. They wouldn't pay the license for fucking 4OD........the apps are properly shite and have a weird no install run from server config.....so if their server is down no fecking Netflix/BBci etc....this may all have changed in the 5 yrs i bought this twating thing :). I could have got a shit hot LG for £800 that probably had the same screen made in the same factory by the same dude (at the time).

I enjoyed that.

In terms of your question, I have the Samsung 9000 series and its wonderful.

I will say, despite your 20/20 snipe, watch something in 1080p and then go watch it in 4K HDR and tell me you can't see a difference :)
It wasn't meant as a snipe per say but more of an observation.
Have a look on the web concerning viewing angles and distant ratio to tv.
The human eye can only detect so much information and difference is usually discernable.
The following table gives you the minimum watching 1080p HDTV screen while keeping the angular resolution to the maximum that human eyes can perceive.

The chart shows the optimal vowing for for DVD 720p1080 UltraHD and 4k sets and different resolutions resolutions.
I have studied this table at length and will continue to base it's findings when making my ultimate choice as I consider it to be a contributing factor

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

The array of contrasting technology that is now on hand is simply staggering. I have no intention of continuing with 1080 HD and aim to future proof to the max with 4k and ultra HD. The 9000 series is an immense piece of kit and did you know is the brother of the 8000 series the only difference being the curvature of it's spine.

However I have delved into the 7000 series which is offering brilliant value. The only difference between the 8000 and 7000 series is processor speeds. Only really a considering attribute if you play lots of high intensity first person shooters or action games.

The difference in processor speeds between the two is negligible and only factored at around 300
A bigger processor leap could be obtained in the 902 Panasonic which fires in at the 3000 speed.

But as previously stated the aesthetics are naff and it has a cheap piece of silver foil like material wrapped around it's edge and is very prone to marking. How the tv will look as opposed to just it's available content is in my book equally as absorbing and important.

The speed at which the technology is changing is beyond good and finding an entry point to join this exciting party requires nerves of steel and much information overload from the world wide web.

Even big leaps in technology existing between led and new OLED now.
Have a look at this snippet from the AV forums as it's a right riveting read

https://www.avforums.com/article/what-s-the-difference-between-an-led-and-oled-tv.12052

Price has to come into play and if the set is the right set for us both we will pay reasonable money
When you break it down into weekly costs of well under a fiver then there cant be better entertainment value for money out there than this.

Another good TV if price is a consideration

Hisense 55M5500 LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55" With Freeview HD & Anyview Cast, Silver

Black Friday as one thread contributor said is imminent and that I feel will now be my strike time.
Three weeks off I think and will shortlist five sets for flexibility.

Last edited:
Make sure any TV is smart.
When you decide go to Richersounds.
All TVs come with a free 6 year warranty and Richersounds warranties are great.
Get a problem you usually get a new TV.

Good call Dennis as the extra years warranty they throw in is very good value and six years piece of mind on a large purchase makes good buying sense.

I bought a Panasonic 3d for £1000 cash would i go panasonic again....would I bollox like.
Exceptional though they are picture wise the OS is locked tighter than a 70s politicians closet. They wouldn't pay the license for fucking 4OD........the apps are properly shite and have a weird no install run from server config.....so if their server is down no fecking Netflix/BBci etc....this may all have changed in the 5 yrs i bought this twating thing :). I could have got a shit hot LG for £800 that probably had the same screen made in the same factory by the same dude (at the time).
The tv man at Curry's mentioned during our 45 minute chat that LG were very good and that there screens were the same used in the Samsung's.

Just a perceived lower brand name than Samsung has for less money but lg are a very good call indeed.
Once way back in the day we bought a tesco branded telly under it's own umbrella name.

Never heard of it but it lasted 7 years.One day it stopped working so being poor I took a screwdriver too it to see if I could resolve the issue. Imagine my consternation when the main components were all stamped Hitachi.

A lot of the big boys used to do this making tally's under non brand names for third parties.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.