I've f¬^&"* your grandaughter!

Re: I've f¬^&"* your grandaughter!

Cheesy said:
It's really disappointing to find out there's still so many people prepared to judge someone on what they choose to do for a living or how they choose to lead their life. Some of the comments are almost misogynistic. Who gives a flying fuck what the girl does? What these two did was wrong, plain & simple. No grey areas. Yes, the reaction has been over the top, but they cannot be allowed to get away with it. You or I wouldn't expect to get away with it so why should these two?

I don't think too many people are saying they should be allowed "to get away with it", just that the reaction from so many people is over the top as you quite rightly say. I'll re-iterate what I think - that what they did was wrong and as a result they deserved to be disciplined and also owe both Sachs and his grand-daughter an apology. And that should be the end of that. But no - thousands have jumped on the bandwagon and many people who should know better have produced an over-reactionary moan-fest of mammoth proportions. What is so laughable is that there are so many moaning about this incident yet the BBC have put out other programmes with far more offensive material in the past. Some of the stuff they've got away with on programmes such as They Think It's All Over and Have I Got News For You makes what Brand and Ross did seem extremely mild in comparison, not to mention both shows being broadcast to a far wider audience. I remember Kirsty Young on Have I Got News For You making reference to the Queen's visit to America a couple of years ago and chucking in some quip about the "31 gun salute" being fired from Virginia State University barely a month or so after that bloke went on the rampage at said university killing 30-odd students. Funny how there wasn't any significant fall-out from that.

All your examples are of TV/Radio programmes that the viewer chooses to watch or not watch. If you do not want to see it you have the choice. What Brand/Ross did was to invade someone's privacy, without consent and broadcast it as 'humour'. This is fundamentally different and is why there was a, justifiable, reaction.

Okay, fair comment. I still feel there was a ridiculously high number of complaints though. And let's be fair here - not all the complaints have referred to the invasion of privacy. Some have highlighted the bad language and general distastefulness of the calls, while others appear to have used the incident as an excuse to moan about how much money Jonathan Ross earns per year.

Each to their own though - personally, it would take a lot more than that for me to ever consider registering a complaint. I guess we all possess varying degrees of sensitivity.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.