Jack Byrne signs permanently for Wigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a business. A cut throat business - young lads hoping to become a professional footy player.

I remember discussing this when I took my football coaching badges - they showed the stats on a slide show its hard, very hard to make it.

Jake was never going to make it up the food chain within the current playing squad - who is going is dislodge from team?

Watched him many of times & I wish him well and really hope he takes it to the next level.
good luck bud

Jack Byrne - good enough for City and Barca, but not for Blackburn.........
It's the same every time a player leaves who was being touted as possible future first teamer is let go. The next one will be when it turns out that Angelino isn't the long-term solution to our left back problem. People were suggesting that we should go into the season with him and Maffeo as second choice full backs, and yet he's been on loan to the Spanish second division all season and has failed to set foot on the pitch. Let's be honest, the level that a player it being loaned out to is a pretty good indication of their current level. And we wouldn't buy anyone who was struggling to get into a Championship level team, so what makes people think we would put them in the team just because they're on our books? I'm sure we put players on loan with the intention of improving them, but in a lot of cases, it will be to put players we know aren't going to make it at City in the shop window.

If all of those things are true then why, may I ask, did he fail to make any impact at all at Blackburn? They clearly don't have a great deal of better options than a guy who apparently is good enough to get games at City given they've spent the entire season in the relegation zone. Surely the point of a loan move is to give players much needed first team experience, and to assess how they cope in "real football" which is a far cry from youth football. Byrne succeeded in Holland to a degree, although Holland is renowned for making players look better than they actually end up being, but you can't call his time at Blackburn anything other than a disappointing failure. He'll have been assessed when out on loan, coaching reports, match reports (for the few times he got on the pitch) etc and those reports can't have been favourable.

We've spent a shit load of money on our new academy. It makes absolutely fuck all sense for your comment "Clearly, hardly any are going to get a chance" to be true. Why spend hundreds of millions on an academy, stock it with players, spend years training/teaching them only to sell them on for not too much money in the scheme of things, and so it all again? We have a sizeable coaching staff, at all age levels, isn't it far more likely that those coaches have over the years, and also over the past few months, assessed Byrne and decided that, although he clearly has some talent, it's talent that isn't going to progress to the point where he'd be able to make a real difference to a title challenging side with the aim of being the bets in Europe?

Your argument is the same each time, "we didn't give them a chance". However your version of "giving them a chance" is always "play them in the City first team and see if they sink or swim" like that's the only proveable way of assessing a players potential. The club, like most clubs, seem to be taking the "watch them for years in the youth setup, send them out on loans, and assess them" approach. I'm not sure why you seem to feel that your method is the right one and the one chosen by the club is so fundamentally flawed, as with most things I'm more inclined to trust the professionals when it comes to their approach then the keen amateur.

Why did Byrne fail at Blackburn ? No idea. Perhaps he was shit.

If he was, it makes no difference whatsoever, to anything . If every player who had a shit spell somewhere was written off, there would be no players & if it applied to managers at new teams, Pep would already be gone. It's a pointless argument which has no relevance to any footballer anywhere ever making it or not making it anywhere ever.

'We've spent a shit load of money on our new academy. It makes absolutely fuck all sense for your comment "Clearly, hardly any are going to get a chance" to be true.'

My comment is about the fantastic genertation of young footballers we had in the U18s a few years ago & it IS true. We will barely see any of them even for 5 mins in the Premier League. They will be gone without ever beeing tested at first team level, in spite of often outplaying other kids in opposing teams who now play in the Prem. Whether they make it or not, anywhere, is completely irrelevant. They were good enough to be used here & there & introduced to top level football, & kept or sold depending on their achievement, just as every other team including our multi title winning enemy from Stretford, has been doing with their kids for the past 50 years & exactly how City had been doing throucgh thick & thin, year in year out, until we got money, where it became easier to buy 2nd rate squad players rather than promote our own. That's how it's done. Always has been, always will be. Kid gets a chance. Assess where he's up to, decide from there.

'isn't it far more likely that those coaches have over the years, and also over the past few months, assessed Byrne and decided that, although he clearly has some talent, it's talent that isn't going to progress to the point where he'd be able to make a real difference to a title challenging side with the aim of being the bets in Europe?'

It's quite possible. It's also possible they think he has a good chance of making it, but no way can Pep give him any game time, whilst he's so busy in his first season, & he Byrne is now too old to be hanging around waiting for a 5 min debut & playing in the 2nd team, where he would be taking the place of other kids who are now in the position he was in, two years ago.

It's also likely, in fact certain, that they don't know, either way. If they did, they wouldn't be coaches, they would be doing Txiki's job, for ten times the money & signing all the kids everywhere who will become top players. All they do, is take an educated best guess at what a player will be.

They get it wrong, often. All of them, at every level, not just at City.

And that includes our title winning coach David Platt, who fucked off £20 mil SWP from Forest.

We have wasted generations of kids & possibly impaired several who might have made it. When I say 'we' it's mostly the managers.

Hopefully Pep will do better. The signs are good.

Last edited:
We have wasted generations of kids & possibly impaired several who might have made it. When I say 'we' it's mostly the managers.

The fact that this 'wasted generation' and impaired players haven't gone on to make it elsewhere seems to diminish your point considerably...

The fact that this 'wasted generation' and impaired players haven't gone on to make it elsewhere seems to diminish your point considerably...

I suppose another reading of it might say that your assertion that they haven't made it elsewhere supports his point of view.

No, it doesn't.

Most are still 20 years old & Glen Whelan is playing Premier League football, every week.

Glen Whelan would not have got into any of City's recent teams at any age, or on the bench. Nor would plenty who have played for Utd.

It's not their fault, but if City's coaches jobs were based on actual results of producing players, then in any other line of work, the whole lot would be fired.

If not them, then all the scouts would be fired, for giving them such shit to work with.

We have had a huge problem turning talented kids into talented adults & have clearly been getting it wrong.

People who can't see that, are burying their heads in the sand.

Typically myopic dumbing down of the discussion.

You did that with the whole Rashford/Wilson debacle.

Why did Byrne fail at Blackburn ? No idea. Perhaps he was shit.

If he was, it makes no difference whatsoever, to anything . If every player who had a shit spell somewhere was written off

Name five top players (Champions League/Internationals - and serious suggestions, not one season wonders) that have had a shit spell somewhere and then turned it around to be a success at a TOP european club.

My comment is about the fantastic genertation of young footballers we had in the U18s a few years ago & it IS true.

You need to realise that shining in the U18's is not the same as competing for Premier League and Champions League titles, in your strange world David Ball and Harry Bunn would be our forward line....

It's the same every time a player leaves who was being touted as possible future first teamer is let go. The next one will be when it turns out that Angelino isn't the long-term solution to our left back problem. People were suggesting that we should go into the season with him and Maffeo as second choice full backs, and yet he's been on loan to the Spanish second division all season and has failed to set foot on the pitch. Let's be honest, the level that a player it being loaned out to is a pretty good indication of their current level. And we wouldn't buy anyone who was struggling to get into a Championship level team, so what makes people think we would put them in the team just because they're on our books? I'm sure we put players on loan with the intention of improving them, but in a lot of cases, it will be to put players we know aren't going to make it at City in the shop window.

Oh don't i know, If Jack Byrne was a Liverpool or Arsenal player and had the same experience on loan as he has, we would not be looking to add him to our squad, but because he has played a few youth games it's like we have released someone who will come back to haunt us when he sets up Messi for the winning Champions League final goal in 2 years time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.