Jadon Sancho

I don't consider him or Diaz academy products any more than Aleix Garcia, Iheanacho, Sané or Jesus, they're just very smart transfers pulled off with a deal of foresight. While the club should get the credit for developing them as young professionals, the academy plays very little part.
Even Angus Gunn is stretching it a bit as he signed when he was 15.
The rags can go and poach half of Huddersfield's u-18s with senior contracts if they want to pad their stats, I'd leave them to it.

That's fine if you want to apply the same rules to everyone and write off all of those players, we're still miles behind the rest based on English kids signed before they were 15. There is no way you can spin it to make us look good on this.

That's fine if you want to apply the same rules to everyone and write off all of those players, we're still miles behind the rest based on English kids signed before they were 15. There is no way you can spin it to make us look good on this.
No, we don't look good in any case, that wasn't the point. But academies should be about developing young players from their local areas and that's what they should be credited for, the whole league are stat padding and slapping themselves on the back. The PL club youth directors are going to get an awful wake up call when Brexit happens and they can't cherry pick the best 16 year old players from abroad.

No, we don't look good in any case, that wasn't the point. But academies should be about developing young players from their local areas and that's what they should be credited for, the whole league are stat padding and slapping themselves on the back. The PL club youth directors are going to get an awful wake up call when Brexit happens and they can't cherry pick the best 16 year old players from abroad.

This is a separate debate to what happens once kids are in the academy, and probably not for this thread, but as far as I'm concerned youth academies should take in kids and make them the best players possible.

If you want an academy to produce world class players fit to play in a team at the top of the world game, like our current team, Manchester's talent pool isn't big enough. Nor is Munich's, or even Barcelona or Madrid. If you just want lower/mid-table premier league calibre players then you can just stick to the local area, but there aren't enough Phil Foden's in Greater Manchester to fill an academy, so you widen the net. Whether that's to Wales & London or Paris & Barcelona doesn't make a difference to me. Messi is Barcelona through and through, doesn't matter that he's from 6500 miles away.

You might want to read this again

No, just difficult to interpret.

I think the evidence supports Sancho's belief that an academy prospect breaking through at City will find it incredibly hard to get games. If the alternative is a loan then it's difficult to find a club at a level to test the player, that is willing to play a young loanee over one of their own players.

The jury is out on whether Dortmund wad the right choice for him. I reckon he'll have expected/hoped to play more this season. That said, he's now coming into form and starting games and Aubemeyang's departure could give him a route to the first team that looks less likely for Foden and Diaz here.

No, just difficult to interpret.

I think the evidence supports Sancho's belief that an academy prospect breaking through at City will find it incredibly hard to get games. If the alternative is a loan then it's difficult to find a club at a level to test the player, that is willing to play a young loanee over one of their own players.

The jury is out on whether Dortmund wad the right choice for him. I reckon he'll have expected/hoped to play more this season. That said, he's now coming into form and starting games and Aubemeyang's departure could give him a route to the first team that looks less likely for Foden and Diaz here.

The reality is that an academy prospect at any elite club will find it increasingly difficult to get first team game time.

The reality is that an academy prospect at any elite club will find it increasingly difficult to get first team game time.

Exactly. So they move to a tier 2 club, excel, and get a big money move back to a tier 1 club.

Just like Sancho has done.

The path to City's first team is to impress for a club on the next rung (Spurs, Monaco, Liverpool, Schalke, Wolfsburg, Athletic, Benfica, Valencia, etc.) and we buy you.

Exactly. So they move to a tier 2 club, excel, and get a big money move back to a tier 1 club.

Just like Sancho has done.

The path to City's first team is to impress for a club on the next rung (Spurs, Monaco, Liverpool, Schalke, Wolfsburg, Athletic, Benfica, Valencia, etc.) and we buy you.

Or a good loan or buy back deal

Or a good loan or buy back deal

There are no great loan opportunities. A club of the stature of the ones I listed are not going to play City youngsters instead of their youngsters as there is no benefit to them.

Buy backs can work but aren't common for the same reason. Clubs generally don't want to lose their players for a previously agreed amount lower than their market value of they're performing well.

David Alaba, Dani Carvajal, Marcos Llorente, Theo Hernandez, Marco Asensio and Gerard Pique (plus a few more I imagine) all had loans or buy backs as part of their current journey into the elite first team environment so we need to play on that a lot more IMO

[Citation Needed]

Academy players in Matchday squads of European Champions in the Champions League Final.

Real Madrid 2017 - 4 - Carvajal, Casilla, Nacho, Morata
Real Madrid 2016 - 5 - Carvajal, Jesé, Lucas Vazquez, Casilla, Nacho
Barcelona 2015 - 9 - Pique, Alba, Busquets, Iniesta, Messi, Xavi, Bartra, Rafinha, Pedro.
Real Madrid 2014 - 4 - Casillas, Carvajal, Morata, Arbeloa.
Bayern 2013 - 4 -Lahm, Kroos, Alaba, Schweinsteiger.
Chelsea 2012 - 1 - Bertrand (Terry suspended).
Barca 2011 - 10 -Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Pedro, Thiago, Bojan.
Inter 2010 - 0
Barca 2009 - 10 - Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Muniesa, Bojan, Pedro.
United 2008 - 4 -Scholes, Brown, Fletcher, Giggs.
Milan 2007 - 3 -Maldini, Oddo, Brocchi.
Barcelona 2006 - 5 - Valdes, Puyol, Jorquera, Xavi, Iniesta.
Liverpool 2005 - 2 - Carragher, Gerrard.
Porto 2004 - 3 - Baía, Costa, Carvalho.
Milan 2003 - 3 - Maldini, Brocchi, Costacurta.
Real Madrid 2002 - 4 - Raúl, Pavon, Casillas, Guti

So that's starting or on the bench for the most important game of the season.

Quite the opposite of being a rarity, pretty much every European champion of recent times has had a few academy players. We're miles away from being at an average level of youth involvement, let alone being "way ahead".

If your going to qoute, then qoute correctly. I stated that aside from the Barcelona squad.

Real Madrid 2017 - 4 - Carvajal (ADCR Leman's), Casilla (Club Gimnàstic de Tarragona), Nacho (AD Complutense), Morata(Atletico Madrid & Getafe)
Real Madrid 2016 - 5 - Carvajal, Jesé (Huracan), Lucas Vazquez (Ural), Casilla, Nacho
Barcelona 2015 - 9 - Pique, Alba, Busquets, Iniesta, Messi, Xavi, Bartra, Rafinha, Pedro.
Real Madrid 2014 - 4 - Casillas, Carvajal, Morata, Arbeloa (Zaragoza).
Bayern 2013 - 4 -Lahm (FT Gern München), Kroos (Hansa Rostock), Alaba (Austria Wien ), Schweinsteiger (TSV 1860 Rosenheim)
Chelsea 2012 - 1 - Bertrand (Gillingham) (Terry suspended).
Barca 2011 - 10 -Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Pedro, Thiago, Bojan.
Inter 2010 - 0
Barca 2009 - 10 - Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Muniesa, Bojan, Pedro.
United 2008 - 4 -Scholes, Brown, Fletcher, Giggs.
Milan 2007 - 3 -Maldini, Oddo (Renato Curi Angolana), Brocchi.
Barcelona 2006 - 5 - Valdes, Puyol, Jorquera, Xavi, Iniesta.
Liverpool 2005 - 2 - Carragher, Gerrard.
Porto 2004 - 3 - Baía, Costa ( Boavista), Carvalho (Amarante).
Milan 2003 - 3 - Maldini, Brocchi, Costacurta.
Real Madrid 2002 - 4 - Raúl (Atletico Madrid), Pavon, Casillas, Guti

The players in bold came from other clubs, so as I stated "aside from Barcelona the rags are the next best and from being the the norm, its clear that since 2002, aside from Barcelona, the champions league winner has had to use other clubs to supplement their youth setup.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.