Jason Denayer

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by FantasyIreland, 1 Jun 2016.

1. greasedupdeafguy

greasedupdeafguy

I remember at the time thinking how bizarre the otamendi signing was. We started the season with three clean sheets and then spend 30 million on another centre back.

2. domalino

domalino

I did respond to it, Otamendi was supposed to be his teammate not replacement. It was only River Plates backing out of a deal that stopped that from happening.

Kolarov wasn't "well established" at Cb when Denayer left last year, he'd played 2 games. And even if you call Kolarov a CB then he would have been 5th choice with Kompanys injury meaning he played regularly. Particularly as he had the one thing Pep said Tosin lacked, seasons of experience in professional football.

He got unlucky with the transfer merry-go-round and I genuinely felt sorry for him at the time and it was a shame for the club as well as him, but since then instead of look forward to the change of management and rebuilding of the team which could have included him, he's done his best to not play for City and I suppose that's why my sympathy has worn thin, and I particularly dislike seeing people bend over backwards to pretend the club maliciously misled him into a contract, or people who side with him because his agent complains to the press while the club stays silent.

He's now thrown a 3 year long strop, and is once again slagging the club off for not govinrg him away free to Lyon, when we all know that in his window the club are trying to raise funds and would sell the kitchen sink for a decent price. His latest outburst is just another attempt to force the club's hand because the club he wants to go to won't pay up. We'll probably here the same from Hart soon as it seems West Ham won't buy him outright.

3. BJL_City

BJL_City

seems people want to bash the club no matter what, despite the facts. Just admit you don't like Txiki and co. and be done with it.

4. domalino

domalino

Well he forced a loan last year and needed a loan the year before (it was only because of that loan anyone thought he deserved a chance), so he missed out once under Pellegrini in 15/16 and has been throwing a strop ever since.

He could have played 30+ games last season for us with Kompanys injuries and Kolarovs decline in performance after October. Instead he insisted on leaving, tried to force the club into loaning him back to Galatasaray. Now he's trying to force a move to Lyon so he's back in the press.

5. twosips

twosips

Otamendi was bought randomly after a good start. It was a bizarre late window opportunistic move and there was literally nothing to suggest it was part of a bigger plan. Demichelis extended his contract in March and we only tried to ship him to River after signing Otamendi, Mangala also thought he was staying (understandably after his performances) and Denayer was told that no big CB signings were being made. Basically you had three players who had no fucking idea what was going on. It was a shambles, and yes, Denayer was unlucky, but I understand the bitterness.

I agree he's sulked since then, but the loan moves have been bollocks. I 100% don't blame him for not wanting to sit around as potentially 5th choice either. Denayer didn't get a single minute in preseason, despite being fit and training/travelling with the first team - instead Pep used Kolarov as they had no CB options apparently. You could say this was cos of certain factors, and we'd both only be guessing here, but I don't think even you would be able to disagree that he's never had a chance. He simply hasn't. A thrown together last minute shoddy loan at Gala isn't part of a bigger plan, and it was clearly a poor move for him.

Since then he's moaned, yes, but fuck it, i'd be bitter too. He's only human, and now if City really are pulling this bollocks preventing him from being loaned to Lyon cos of Girona then it's nonsense. Likewise *if* true about the buyback clause stuff.

I don't think we're ever gonna agree on this, but this club makes mistakes, like anyone does and ever will do and i think the spiral of circumstance that lead to Denayer being a miserable, bang average footballer is largely our fault, and that's a shame. My big fear is it'll happen again.

Some people just won't ever hear a bad word said about the club either, regardless. I'm not a City basher at all. I just call it as I see it, and I think we make mistakes often, like we also get stuff right. The Denayer situation was a total fuck up IMO.

6. twosips

twosips

Ps - wanna add that I think the board fully well knew that this 'unlucky' situation could've happened for Denayer but they thought 'fuck it' knowing there was no real consequence cos they could just send him out on loan. I think they just kept the fact that they could've been potentially in for Otamendi if he came available from him. Given Mangala had no idea too, and the noises coming out of Denayer's camp suggested they thought no one else was coming in, this seems highly likely.

You can claim unlucky, but when you sit down to have talks about your future, you're reassured and then only a month later what they said they wouldn't do actually goes and happens...well, yeah, you feel pissed off. I don't think Denayer for one second signed that contract knowing Otamendi was coming in. In fact, I think it was quite the opposite. Not unlucky at all, if anything just a bit snide. Why would you trust them?

7. WallyA

WallyA

Regardless of the previous situation there's one thing I don't understand, why aren't we just selling him? I have 2 thoughts about this:

1. We could use a CB and if the club see's Denayer as a future City CB then we should just use him, 3 loans (1 of which was very poor) isn't enough? He needs a 4th loan? do they think if we keep loaning him out he will improve vastly, just bring him in if that's the goal.

2. If he isn't in our plans just sell him, just out of respect to the player, maybe they hope they can get a higher fee in the future but for a club of our size we should prioritize respecting player's wishes to move than hold them hostage. This will give us a bad reputation, we have bought players before and never played them, but we usually help their careers vastly and get them on a good track (like Unal), but with Denayer they had a bad progression for him. They should realize they did some bad loans and sell him to any club who wants him so he can progress, it will not happen with City.

8. Wiirdo

Wiirdo

People don't want to see the club as doing wrong but we've absolutely fucked him over. Can't blame him at all for being annoyed. Of course, as with all players who don't play amazingly on loan in a shit situation, it's all on the player because of those very few loan players who did well on bad teams before. Getting played out of position for the rubbish heap that was Sunderland last season doesn't mean you're suddenly shit. Literally none of our defenders other than Vinnie would look passable in that squad.

9. Eslam elcity

Eslam elcity

" Making 27 appearances in all competitions, the 22-year-old was used all over the place by the former Black Cats manager, and is now trying to go on another loan, as Manchester City try to push him towards newly promoted La Liga side Girona.
    Not exactly keen on the idea, Denayer told Sport/Foot in Belgium why: “I want to be in a team who dominates the game, not in one who suffers, mostly so I can show what I can do, but also to develop.
    “When I go on a pitch, it’s with the aim to enjoy myself and tell myself it’s just football. However, not everyone thinks like that. The problem is that when you’re on the back foot, you don’t take any pleasure from it.”

Still, despite spending most of the season losing games, the 22-year-old is trying to see the benefits of his experience at the Stadium of Light, even if, in the grand scheme of things, ‘there were more negatives than positives’.
    He said: “The fact that we had ups and downs, with small injuries and being move around the pitch helped me become a different man and player. I feel like I hardened myself.
    “I was so used to winning stuff. In the end, I tell myself that the season at Sunderland was something I had to do in my development.”
    Spending time a year in Turkey with Galatasaray before his move up north, a season on Wearside was a shock to the system.
    He said: “You can’t compare. England, it’s stressful, everything needs to be done quickly. Turkey was more for me, people are more relaxed. And Istanbul is a beautiful city, the beach is nearby, it’s great.
    “Nothing like Sunderland where it was quite difficult at times. There’s nothing there, apart from a small shopping centre. It’s really small.”

Revealing ‘it wasn’t exactly a joy’ to know he had to go to Sunderland on the last day of last summer’s transfer window, Denayer would, if possible, like to join Lyon, who reportedly saw a €13.5m bid rejected by Manchester City recently.
    Playing the Europa League would certainly be a nice change from getting thumped 4-0 by Southampton. "
    Denayer is treated very badly by City from the moment he signed The New Contract !!!!!!

10. Neville Kneville

Neville Kneville

What some folk have failed to either understand or admit about Denayer, is that his stock was as high as it gets for a young defender, when he left Celtic.

The way he played, with such authority & ease & actually much more football intelligence than Van Dijk, you can't play like that, without a certain amount of arrogance.

He knew how good he was & so did half the clubs in Europe. Pep would have seen that, even then, & nurtured it. Giving him a hug & a slap where required.

That old .... had no real interest in him & was just here to promote himself. When you are a prodigy, like Denayer was, & you get promised a career path, then shit on, you react badly. Any talented kid would & indeed I don't think he's the only one at City who has been badly let down by the club.

It seems now that he's lost it, either permanently or hit a patch where he's disillusioned, but seeing as he did everything asked & more & it was the club, not the player, who renaged on the deal, imo we should cut him loose not mess him about further.

Imo we absolutely shit on this kid & may have done permanent damage. The fact he's not willing to keep it a secret anymore, is quite understandable & if I was him I'd be very bitter toward the club too & make sure everyone knew, until they were sick of hearing it.