Jason Denayer

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by FantasyIreland, 1 Jun 2016.

1. shaiomarali

shaiomarali

We should just let him go to Lyon. He's already made up his mind of what he thinks of the club, shame really because the club in some parts got him to where he is, and some tact and Kelechi-like patience would go a long way.

2. Denayer is yet another victim of Pellegrini's reign; there were a few players in the EDS circa 2013-early15 who, if given the opportunities their performances deserved, would have very different careers now.

Denayer, Byrne and Barker all had the confidence and momentum to make a decent impact with cameos in the cups and from the bench; instead only Pozo and Garcia got a look in, solely because they were Spanish (their performances in the youth games certainly didn't warrant it), and the aforementioned three have since stagnated into mediocrity.

Hopefully all three manage to salvage the careers their respective talents deserve elsewhere.

3. bluetaco

bluetaco

I think if he didn't come to us we'd be buying him right now for 30 million :^)

4. mavsmcfc

mavsmcfc

Truth is it's very rare for the top teams in football nowadays to have an academy youth players to debut with the first team and then go on to make a meaningful impact with the same team. We should consider ourselves lucky if we manage to get 1 of Foden, Brahim, and Sancho to become a true member of the first team. Anything more than that is a bonus.

The only youth player that debuted with the senior team and went on to become a good player/starter (off the top of my head) is Thomas Muller at Bayern. Liverpool has none. Arsenal has Bellerin. The rags has Rashford but his future is looking bleak at the moment and it's not yet known if he'll be a regular starter now that they have Lukaku. Spurs has Kane and maybe Rose if we're being generous.

Atletico has Koke, Saul, Torres, Gabi, and Lucas Hernandez. Atletico would be the best case scenario and a rare one at that.

Barca now was Messi, Iniesta, Rafinha, and Busquets - but after those 4 their youth players are still yet to be known if they'd manage the same thing as those 4. Even Pique was shipped to the rags before coming back to Barca. And with the state of La Masia and Barca nowadays, it's fair to say that the days of Barca starting 11 players from La Masia is over.

Most of the good players in the team are either bought or academic players that are sold and bought back. 10 years ago it might've been possible to have youth players be successful at our team, but we're at a different level now, and if we're angling to become the same heights as Barca and Madrid, the standard is pretty high but I have high hopes for Sancho, Foden, Brahim, and maybe Tosin. But as far as the others like Angelino, Maffeo, Denayer, etc. - I'm afraid that ship has sailed, I would love to be proven wrong as I'd love to have our kids in the senior team. If we only have to produce a lot of mini Fabian Delphs, it won't be difficult. But we're trying to produce mini Kuns and mini Silva so the chances are pretty slim. Right now with Maffeo and Denayer we're just trying to cling onto the hope since they're our own kids and trying to rationalize why they're not working out at the moment but truth is the chance of them working out is pretty slim and that's just the way it is.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2017
  5. Dipsis_LTU_MC

Dipsis_LTU_MC

I have a feeling that Denayer will stay. We don't have any backup for Walker and Denayer can play RB. Besides that he is no worse than Fernando therefore I can see Fernando being sold and Pep might use Denayer as a backup DM for Fernandinho.

6. greasedupdeafguy

greasedupdeafguy

I would love him to stay and prove himself. His versatility helps, with Delph and Fernando pretty certain to leave he could be an option at centre mid and back up right back and centre back.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2017
  7. TonyM

TonyM

Good points. He looks a very lazy player though. He'd need to improve a lot a lot a lot.

8. BlueisCity

BlueisCity

What points?

9. TonyM

TonyM

The pointy ones.