Jay Rodriguez charged by FA over racism allegation

Looked like nothing at the time, as in there was not that much lip movement.

The FA giving him the Robespierre treatment in a typical over-reaction due to the FA's past promotion of discrimination, particularly against women, and the failure to do anything when players like Alex Williams got bananas chucked at him.

Was just saying its a derogatory term. There's a continuum of prejudice and its similar to use of the terms chav and pikey that implies a person is of lesser worth based on where they are from or their social standing. We can agree to differ as to whether its acceptable or not. My original point was that the term was applied to someone based on an assumption he was guilty as charged.

Ha, sorry mate. The “yonner” comment wasn’t meant seriously (just a reference to him being a boyhood United fan from Burnley) and certainly wasn’t implying guilt.

Ha, sorry mate. The “yonner” comment wasn’t meant seriously (just a reference to him being a boyhood United fan from Burnley) and certainly wasn’t implying guilt.
In that case, yonner rag would be the correct nomenclature.

Looked like nothing at the time, as in there was not that much lip movement.

The FA giving him the Robespierre treatment in a typical over-reaction due to the FA's past promotion of discrimination, particularly against women, and the failure to do anything when players like Alex Williams got bananas chucked at him.
I remember when Alex came to our Mid Cheshire Branch Meeting and he told us of the story when he moved up to Scotland to play.
He was forewarned by the Scottish lads to expect a lot of discrimination.Very few black players at the time had played in the higher leagues of Scotland at the time.
His team were playing away and as he trudged out to go into the nets the abuse started.
"Fuck off you English twat". "Piss of yer English wanker".
Not a fucking murmur about the colour of his skin.

Wil have to see the outcome, and if guilty a hefty ban.

On yonner never heard it called derogatary by by the oldhamers I know, just see it a local nickname like smoggies for borough, woolybacks for warrington/widnes and yams for wolves, and anyway if he's from burnley then surely he's a dingle

Last edited:
The FA have a near 100% conviction rate when charging players for their crimes.
Basically, if they charge you, you have already been found guilty for your misdemeanor. Incoming ban for Jay (unless he claims Bong called him a sheep shagging yonner first!)

An unsophisticated resident of the towns of Oldham, Rochdale or surrounding areas. Now more widely applied to residents of any the satellite towns of Greater Manchester who speak with a broad Lancashire accent. A Lancashire hillbilly or bumpkin.

You misunderstand my point maybe. The guy is being accused of racism and condemned for it before it is proven but it is acceptable to label him a yonner. Well, I guess its not as bad as pikey.

Yonner is not a derogatory term though. It means someone from up yonder.

If he'd said it the obviously throw the book. Until people uniformly get bans and shamed then it will continue to rear its head in football.

However, I am absolutely perplexed at how the FA have come to the decision to charge him. There doesn't seem to be clear proof either way and surely the referees report will say that one player complained about what was said rather than he definitely said it? Isn't there an investigation first?

Seems this way around the decision has been made. Charged by the FA, he then appeals to the FA to question the FA's charge and motivations / evidence? Hmm. Clearly the FA either feel they have enough evidence already, or they don't have to prove guilt when abiding by their own processes.

What is a real shame is that, if he has said something, the process again from the FA is so clouded and mysterious that we are left questioning the credibility of both players and not recognizing clearly that one is an ignorant idiot. Bravo, FA.

To me it didn’t look like he had said anything of the sort but he does move his hand to say he stinks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.