Jeremy Hunt

Do you work in the NHS perhaps? Or your husband does? Or brother? Well Q E fucking D.

If I have none-emergency issue at the weekends, then there is no-one to see about it and it has to wait until Monday.

WHY?

It does not need to be like that and thankfully, soon it won't be.
You pay a premium for using professionals at the weekend ever called out a plumber out of hours? Your sore toe can wait but if you are willing to pay a premium I can give you a long list of doctors who will happily take your money. This could be covered by the NHS but at the moment would be at the expense of people needing emergency care.

The very idea that Jeremy Hunt received £32,920 from hedge fund baron Andrew Law, a major investor in healthcare firms is one of the things I find very off about having a man like this in charge of the NHS. He will have a a agenda and you can bet your bottom dollar or indeed your health that it won't be us the general public.
How strange the UK media neglect to mention this nugget of info whilst denouncing medical staff for caring.

You pay a premium for using professionals at the weekend ever called out a plumber out of hours? Your sore toe can wait but if you are willing to pay a premium I can give you a long list of doctors who will happily take your money. This could be covered by the NHS but at the moment would be at the expense of people needing emergency care.

what about people who may be at risk of dying but have no chance of seeing the people who make the potentially life saving decisions over a weekend?

I know this happens (or doesn't) from experience

hard enough during the week and forget it at the weekend

you may be dying but you'll just have to wait

There is 24/7 emergency cover by consultants for every acute speciality sadly not at every hospital although previously there was this is a direct result of the government changing to an integrated care model. Please see what has happened to wythenshawe hospital most recently.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience and hope it was investigated. 99% of consultants opt in to work the weekends needed for emergency care.

I would be happier to have a fully functioning 7 day NHS but It just needs the government to fund it. The current funding plan will mean less services over the whole week.

The NHS has never been so busy.

Your analogy is flawed though. Tesco increase revenue when they open so being openon Sunday is worth it to them. However I agree that it's nonsense that I can't get an appointment at my GP on a Saturday. I often spend Mon-Fri away from home so have to take a day off if I need to see a doctor.

But the problem is that if a resource works at a weekend, they won't be available during a weekday. We could have a seven day service but we'd need about 30% more resources.

I don't accept that mate, on many levels.

First, do Tesco sell more food by being open 7 days instead of 5? A bit, perhaps, but not much. People don't eat more just because they can shop 7 days instead of 5 and since Tesco's competitors are open as well, it's not as if Tesco steal market share by being open longer, either. In principle, Tesco just sell the same as they did before, but the sales are spread out over the full week instead of being concentrated into 5 days. All we've seen is a shift in buying patterns, not huge increases in sales volume.

The analogy holds well with the NHS. Being available 7 days does not mean more medical work. People aren't Ill more, in fact they are probably less ill if you treat them promptly. A treatment given on Sunday need not be given again on Monday. So instead of needing 7 doctors, 5 days a week, the surgery might need 5 doctors, 7 days a week. At the hospital, the MRI scan done on the Sunday doesn't need doing again on Tuesday.

In principle, the only extra resources needed are support staff and utilities, because the medical workload is unchanged. Of course I oversimplify everything here and I do accept that in reality, some more resources are needed, but nothing like the scaremongering figures we've heard banded about.

We'd need to be sensible about it - requiring a sole GP practice to be open 24x7 would require a huge increase in resources and GPs sitting around doing nothing for hours, waiting for patients. So that wouldn't be sensible and we'd have exemptions for those sorts of circumstances. We'd implement the changes pragmatically and only where a critical mass exists to make it work efficiently.

But I keep hearing this "but it would need a +40% increase in resources" argument (I realise you said 30%), and I don't believe it for one moment. It's a myth put about by the turkey doctors who don't want to vote for the Sunday-opening Christmas. Basically, it's a convenient lie. (As is the convenient lie about impacting upon patient safety.) They are grossly over-exaggerated the additional resources needed and completely ignored the efficiency *savings" that would accrue! For example, if you are and well enough to go home on a Friday afternoon, as it stands, they can't discharge you until Monday.

The objections put up by the doctors have got less to do with real financial and medical concerns and more to do with them not wanting to work weekends and worrying about loss of overtime when they do.

I don't accept that mate, on many levels.

First, do Tesco sell more food by being open 7 days instead of 5? A bit, perhaps, but not much. People don't eat more just because they can shop 7 days instead of 5 and since Tesco's competitors are open as well, it's not as if Tesco steal market share by being open longer, either. In principle, Tesco just sell the same as they did before, but the sales are spread out over the full week instead of being concentrated into 5 days. All we've seen is a shift in buying patterns, not huge increases in sales volume.

The analogy holds well with the NHS. Being available 7 days does not mean more medical work. People aren't Ill more, in fact they are probably less ill if you treat them promptly. A treatment given on Sunday need not be given again on Monday. So instead of needing 7 doctors, 5 days a week, the surgery might need 5 doctors, 7 days a week. At the hospital, the MRI scan done on the Sunday doesn't need doing again on Tuesday.

In principle, the only extra resources needed are support staff and utilities, because the medical workload is unchanged. Of course I oversimplify everything here and I do accept that in reality, some more resources are needed, but nothing like the scaremongering figures we've heard banded about.

We'd need to be sensible about it - requiring a sole GP practice to be open 24x7 would require a huge increase in resources and GPs sitting around doing nothing for hours, waiting for patients. So that wouldn't be sensible and we'd have exemptions for those sorts of circumstances. We'd implement the changes pragmatically and only where a critical mass exists to make it work efficiently.

But I keep hearing this "but it would need a +40% increase in resources" argument (I realise you said 30%), and I don't believe it for one moment. It's a myth put about by the turkey doctors who don't want to vote for the Sunday-opening Christmas. Basically, it's a convenient lie. (As is the convenient lie about impacting upon patient safety.) They are grossly over-exaggerated the additional resources needed and completely ignored the efficiency *savings" that would accrue! For example, if you are and well enough to go home on a Friday afternoon, as it stands, they can't discharge you until Monday.

The objections put up by the doctors have got less to do with real financial and medical concerns and more to do with them not wanting to work weekends and worrying about loss of overtime when they do.

The last paragraph sums it all up.

The last paragraph sums it all up.
The last paragraph is incorrect and another fallacy hunt has put forward. No one on the contracts being changed got "overtime" the rota you did was fixed there was no choice in whether you worked a weekend or not.

More hunt spin accepted by a poorly informed public.

The last paragraph is incorrect and another fallacy hunt has put forward. No one on the contracts being changed got "overtime" the rota you did was fixed there was no choice in whether you worked a weekend or not.

More hunt spin accepted by a poorly informed public.

So people working weekends - how much premium time do they get paid? What percent currently?

Google the full facts - are doctors getting a pay cut? Tells it as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.