Jesus Navas

I didn't see this posted anywhere at the time, but Sevilla renamed their academy stadium "Estadio Jesus Navas" in recognition of him becoming the player with the most appearances for Sevilla in history - 456 and counting.

https://www.sevillafc.es/en/actual/news/stadium-ciudad-deportiva-named-after-jesus-navas

If anyone wants a recap of what's happened to him since leaving, he went back to Sevilla and took up the retired number of his friend Antonio Puerta who died playing for Sevilla in 2007. He was made captain towards the end of last season and plays every game as a RWB.

Sevilla are currently 2nd in La Liga.

Last edited:
That's great to hear. Top pro who's had a fantastic career and won lots.

I always liked Navas. Was he as quick as Leroy or Sterling? Loved the goal v Spurs - 14 secs!!
Same on both.
Probably not as quick towards the end of his time here, but definitely at his physical prime he was as quick or quicker, I remember one Barca Sevilla game where he beat Barca pretty much singlehandedly by outrunning their high line, with the ball, from deep in his own half effectively giving them a 20-30 yard headstart.
Think Nasri's goal in the 4-1 v the rags where he just burned off their entire team in a straight line over 70 yards before crossing.

Not our best buy and castigated by some but I loved his Huckerbery 'run forest run' impression and his awful crossing....well maybe not loved but not as bad as painted.

Not our best buy and castigated by some but I loved his Huckerbery 'run forest run' impression and his awful crossing....well maybe not loved but not as bad as painted.

For £15m I think he was a pretty good buy. He was never going to be a world beater but he gave another dimension to that 13/14 side when we chose him over Nasri or Milner on the right.

We obviously couldn't afford a superstar winger at the time, the Sanchez move couldn't happen and as a squad player he was good.

I suspect he'd have been a lot better under a hands on coach like Pep, who'd have put him in space and in behind defenders,crossing into boxes with 1 or 2 defenders, not collecting the ball from slow play and trying to cross to Aguero up against 6 or 7 defenders like he did under Pellegrini.

Started off brilliantly in that first title winning season. Was excellent that time against Spurs and scored the goal that sealed the 13-14 League Cup for us. He tailed off towards the end and was quite frustrating to watch by the time he left. But regardless of how he stagnated in terms of attacking contribution you could always rely on him to put a shift in and play where he was told to. Solid professional who was here for some good times.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.