Jimmy Armfield

I'll pass on a story that I do remember from the time, but had forgotten until someone reminded me.

When Howard Wilkinson was caretaker England manager, he got annoyed at the questioning in a press conference, and in the end snapped "And how many England caps have you lot got then?" Jimmy Armfield quietly and politely waited for his turn to ask a question, and in the customary way of introducing who it is and their organisation said:

"Jimmy Armfield. Radio Five Live. 43 caps".

Beautiful.

Very sad day :( Will miss hearing his voice, he was such a humble man. RIP Jimmy and Thank you.

another anecdote I hear earlier was that when at Blackpool Jimmy found his wages more than halved in the summer but Stanley Matthews didn't. He questioned this with the manager who said " Stanley Matthews is a better player than you Jimmy" - he replied " Not in summer he isn't "

another anecdote I hear earlier was that when at Blackpool Jimmy found his wages more than halved in the summer but Stanley Matthews didn't. He questioned this with the manager who said " Stanley Matthews is a better player than you Jimmy" - he replied " Not in summer he isn't "

As has been said, a proper gentleman, always enjoyed listening to him, will miss his voice just the same as I miss Bobby Robson's.

I think he mentions the above on this 5live special done last year, worth a listen, I heard it when first broadcast but I think I'll run it again now, http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05vpwq6

RIP Jimmy.

Very sad news. Jimmy Armfield was one of the true gentlemen of football.

I always enjoyed listening to him, when he was the match summariser on the BBC.

R. I. P. Jimmy.

I wasn't even born when he was playing but had listened to his fair minded commentary (especially with the City games) when on Radio Five Live. RIP Jimmy.

I loved Jimmy Armfield on the radio, really made the match more interesting.
He will be sadly missed by all who listen on the radio.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.