John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by Dax777, 13 Aug 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domalino

domalino

The hand gestures and expression make it 10x better.

I'm really glad Pep's drawn attention to how well he's played, because otherwise players like Stones only get talked about when they make mistakes.

2. richards30

richards30

if he had a fit company besides him he would be even better!! maybe that's why we are hunting bonnuci again?

3. Robanompivenov

Robanompivenov

One of his best performances for us yesterday. Looks like the penny has dropped in the last couple of weeks, solid but excellent with the ball. A few crucial blocks yesterday too that denied certain goals.

4. daveyboybluemoon

daveyboybluemoon

One thing that impressed me about Stones yesterday was when Mane went in hard from behind on Silva in the second half, the first player over right in Mane's face was Stones, really laying into him. it continued for quite awhile, even when he was getting ready to take the free kick.

That showed character, that showed a leader to me.... I want him to own that back line!

5. He's been playing well for the last month or so but yesterday felt a bit like a 'coming of age' performance, really commanding with and without the ball.

6. domalino

domalino

I think if he can play like he did in the last 2 games for the rest of the season - or at least on a similar level, then there's no need to buy a 30 year old like Bonucci, and we would be better served going for a natural left sided defender like Laporte and watch them form a long term partnership.

7. MarsLlama

MarsLlama

He's had a shaky season at times, inconsistent, error-prone, inexperience often showing.

Last night he convinced me. Give him the armband and the #4 shirt when Vinny leaves in a few years time. He will lead England out at the World Cup one day.

8. karen7

karen7

John Stones has completed the same number of take-ons (17) in the league this season as Cristiano Ronaldo. [@Squawka]

9. pudge

pudge

I enjoyed seeing him take control. He was the signing I wanted the most last summer and don't doubt his ability but he can far too 'mechanical' at times; pass it and drop wide, rinse, repeat.

Takes away from his natural reading of the game imo which we saw how commanding he can be.

10. City_Sean

City_Sean

I think this was the game where Stones went from a boy to a man. He was absolutely superb and looked like a leader at the back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.