John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played well in the main today,seems to be getting stronger physically by the game.. However, still don't think he's ready to lead our defence yet. For the chance they had just after our first he was three yards behind the rest of the back four and playing their man onside. He was far too deep for their goal too. It seems to happen to us at least 3-4 times a game, there's always one of our defenders hanging back playing their last man onside. I've lost count of the number of times we could have played teams offside if the last defender was 5 yards further up the pitch and it's led to a goal. It's basic stuff which top teams punish. Why it's not being addressed I don't know. We don't seem to have any method behind the defensive side of our game which is very worrying. Maybe Pep sees it as below him?

As much as for Stones' development as anything else, we desperately need a vocal leader in our back four, whether it's Vinny or someone else I don't know. We can't afford to have bit-part players at centre half next season. Otamendi has been a huge disappointment. Kolarov is no more than a squad player. He has to play Kompany with Stones for the rest of the season otherwise we will be punished.

Played well in the main today,seems to be getting stronger physically by the game.. However, still don't think he's ready to lead our defence yet. For the chance they had just after our first he was three yards behind the rest of the back four and playing their man onside. He was far too deep for their goal too. It seems to happen to us at least 3-4 times a game, there's always one of our defenders hanging back playing their last man onside. I've lost count of the number of times we could have played teams offside if the last defender was 5 yards further up the pitch and it's led to a goal. It's basic stuff which top teams punish. Why it's not being addressed I don't know. We don't seem to have any method behind the defensive side of our game which is very worrying. Maybe Pep sees it as below him?

As much as for Stones' development as anything else, we desperately need a vocal leader in our back four, whether it's Vinny or someone else I don't know. We can't afford to have bit-part players at centre half next season. Otamendi has been a huge disappointment. Kolarov is no more than a squad player. He has to play Kompany with Stones for the rest of the season otherwise we will be punished.

Solid game today i thought, agree that he is not yet ready to lead the line and it is a shame because if Vinny had been at his side all season he would have come on leaps and bounds imo. If Vinny is to be moved on by Pep this summer then we need a vocal leader in there who Stones can learn and develop alongside

He's improving as the season progresses which is what you want from a young player. Shows he's learning and developing and will hopefully fulfil the potential he has.

Why's he getting off lightly? I think the biggest area of his game that needs improving is the fact he constantly backs off rather than challenging defenders. I think the past few weeks he's become a real leader at the CB.

Compare and contrast with Bravo thread since full time against Hull.

Why's he getting off lightly? I think the biggest area of his game that needs improving is the fact he constantly backs off rather than challenging defenders. I think the past few weeks he's become a real leader at the CB.

thats his style of play though. he doesnt have to go sliding in to win the ball. he bides his time and then puts his foot in. i think koeman used to play like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.