John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh I could name several defenders that have had a better seasn so far than Stones, but that is not the point. The point is Pep sees Stones fit his system and is developing him in to the defender that can cope with that. When Stones can, he will be some defender. And I don't think Pep sees many defenders fit to play his way as it is the most difficult system for any defender. As for being a defender at Burnley, it's easier to defend close to the goalkeeper than on the halfway line.
The writer is a Burnley blogger, so painted glasses. Btw, isn't Burnley playing the scum this weekend? I rest my case.

Absolutely, and of course Keane is also a United target so it fits nicely with the overall narrative. Yeah Stones hasn't had a great season but is improving and everyone can see the footballer that he is and will become. But with our defensive struggles this season, he becomes an easy target with the big price tag. So articles like this will surface. It's just that saying that the comparison is "not even close" lights my wick.

What exactly is wrong with Stones. You never seem to get a straight answer off the manager these days?

I like John as a player and he has so much potential but off the back of an injury lay off granted, tonight when he came on he was abysmal and frankly looked like his head was anywhere but on the pitch and the job at hand and that isnt good enough.

I like John as a player and he has so much potential but off the back of an injury lay off granted, tonight when he came on he was abysmal and frankly looked like his head was anywhere but on the pitch and the job at hand and that isnt good enough.

as you say hes been out for quite a while now. so he was going to be rusty. I dont think it really matters tbh, overall this season i think hes been quite good. you can see the potential

Sub Kompany with Stones and it took just one cross and we give away a goal. This needs to be addressed next year or we will be leaking too many goals to be competitive.

Sub Kompany with Stones and it took just one cross and we give away a goal. This needs to be addressed next year or we will be leaking too many goals to be competitive.

Firstly, Otamendi who otherwise has a solid form lost a header (not so typical of him) battle and then mistimed an interception (not so typical of him), and only through that they were in a very solid crossing position. And then again, though that's mostly down to luck, Otamendi was in a wrong position to block the cross. Let's not pretend we never concede via a cross with Kompany in a side, or that in any kind of game changing 50% of your backline might not backfire. Stones was rusty, but there's nothing really in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.