John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sub Kompany with Stones and it took just one cross and we give away a goal. This needs to be addressed next year or we will be leaking too many goals to be competitive.

We've conceded 10 goals in our last 15 league games. Kompany has played in 7 of those 15, and we conceded 4 of the 10 goals with Vinny on the pitch. Aka we've drastically tightened up with and without Vinny.

That averages out to 25 goals per season, right in line with Spurs who are currently the best defence in the league.

So we're fine defensively as far as I'm concerned. A new pair of full backs will make a massive difference as well.

Yesterday, the game had descended into an exhibition for Zaba and I thought a goal was coming for a while. Pep obviously thought it might happen, hence waiting for the 3rd before letting the party start.

Stones and Fernando combine to make the mistake, two guys who had just come on, it happens sometimes, no big deal.

I'd like put that goal we conceded in a different perspective. It was all about Zaba's goodbye and many lost concentration over these last few minutes.

The most startling thing to me, was that Stones looked like a child by comparison.

He is absolutely nowhere near Kompany in any area of football, at present. And that includes passing the ball.

What worries me is that Stones is a £50m defender and I think the only chance he has of becoming top class at City is if he has Vinny (or another top class CB) next to him. Surely a player of his value should be able to take care of his own business?

What worries me is that Stones is a £50m defender and I think the only chance he has of becoming top class at City is if he has Vinny (or another top class CB) next to him. Surely a player of his value should be able to take care of his own business?
It doesnt matter what he cost.

He's here now, the price has been agreed and we can't change that.

The only important thing is whether or not he is good enough for us now, and in the future.

For me the answer is unquestionably yes.

One of two defenders at the club I think are sure things to remain.

We bought potential.

And a lot of the football industry believe that potential will see him become a great player. I never saw it, at Everton, but I'll bow to their expertise. But the player we bought from Eveton, was a player not good enough to be a main starter at cb in Everton's team & imo that's the player City currently own.

I agree totally. If he is to reach the level people say he can reach, it will depend on his teacher, in the team, not just on Pep's coaching.

Another reason we need to buy another top cb imo.

I never saw it, at Everton, but I'll bow to their expertise.

I never saw it at Everton either. Wasnt too fussed about the cockups (still arent), and while his work on the ball was and is excellent he just didnt seem to have that defensive nous to him.

But I've been impressed with that side of his game this season. Obviously no comparison to VK in his ability to lead a defence but I saw good signs.

I never saw it at Everton either. Wasnt too fussed about the cockups (still arent), and while his work on the ball was and is excellent he just didnt seem to have that defensive nous to him.

But I've been impressed with that side of his game this season. Obviously no comparison to VK in his ability to lead a defence but I saw good signs.

I've seen games where he's looked almost world class. But I could say the same about Otamendi. And Steven Ireland.

The main thing about world class players is they repeat it, year in year out. Stones & Otta, in their City careeers, have so far struggled to put 3 high quality games together in a row. People blame it on Pep's tinkering. Yet VK can come in half fit & nail it straight away.

I'm not sure what he was playing at when he came on. He 'cleared his lines' more times in ten minutes than he has all season - very bizarre.

That said, he's had a 7 out of 10 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.