John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very concerned about what I saw as a gamble, with Stones, in that we were signing potential which hadn't appeared yet, as opposed to a proven player. But when I saw him interviewed, it really made me realise what we had signed, as opposed to purely the footballer I had been watching in an Everton & England shirt.

He is obviously someone with personality, drive, confidence & intelligence. So when teaching him stuff, is not so much a gamble as I thought, that he'll get it fairly quickly.

Under a proper manager like Pep that is.

Have to say that I wasn't particularly concerend about Stones being a major gamble - beyond the obvious one of spending huge money on a young player as it can go wrong regardless of talent. Stones plainly had technical ability; what I was not especially aware of was his personality but - boom - his personality did shine out from the moment he arrived. Mental strength separates the talented from the great and this lad can go all the way to the very top, that much is clear. What I like is that for all his elegance, he is the kind of defender that will throw his body in the way of the ball when he needs to.

Like many, I would be surprised if he does not eventually succeed Vinnie as club captain.

“Pep’s improved me in every way. I feel I'm back enjoying my football"
Stones on the dressing room: "Nobody behaves like a star. They’re all very humble people. Everyone here pulls their weight."
“We’ve got a lot of characters in the dressing-room, Pablo, Raheem, Kolarov. We all get along, speaking English, and sometimes Spanish."
Stones on *that* Soccer AM video: "It was brilliant! We were going to make a video + send one back but we had games coming thick + fast.”
Stones on Pep: "The gaffer works on my positioning. If I'm in the wrong position, he’ll stop the session and tell me where I should be."
Stones: "It’s good he gives me these little tips. He’s very passionate and it’s rubbing off on us - the passion, the fighting, the winning.”
Stones: "I'd love to captain City and England, but you've got to earn that right. I'll be working hard to get that status, definitely."

I like to think of him more like Paul Lake.
Oddly enough he has a bit of a previous era look and sound about him (put him in a Great War film epic and he would look like a seasoned period actor) but plays in a very modern style.

He's our anachronistic central defender.

Ironically after everyone saying he can't defend, he is the best defender at the club since Kompany is injured all the time. Only one to do his job today and was also great with the ball further up the pitch. The talent he has is insane.

Ironically after everyone saying he can't defend, he is the best defender at the club since Kompany is injured all the time. Only one to do his job today and was also great with the ball further up the pitch. The talent he has is insane.
He's a great defender,he's an even better footballer.

Prior to his arrival,there was alot of nonsense talked about him on here,mostly by characters who had hardly watched him play i'd wager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.