John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by ADegenerate, 21 Jul 2017.

1. Cheadle_hulmeBlue

Cheadle_hulmeBlue

no idea what you mean mate. to me his passing was fine today.

2. domalino

domalino

97.2% pass completion.

103 passes out of 106 attempts.

3. The entire period they had 11 men, our whole defensive unit were a dribbling mess. I watch Stones closely as I don't rate him, and he certainly was not brilliant during this period. When they went down to 10 he was totes amazeballs.

4. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Holding Down the Low End
    So bang average then :rolleyes:

5. domalino

domalino

He had a good game today, and a few times he bossed around Otamendi too, showing signs of some leadership in Kompany's absence.

More than once, after Salah got behind Otamendi, both of them went to chase him down, Stones very clearly told Otamendi it was his and to go cover elsewhere, then made the tackle.

He wasn't outstanding - everyone in the defence had a few dodgy moments, but If Pep's looking at Danilo's performance in that back 3 and thinking he wants him there more often, Stones isn't the one who'll be worried about his place.

6. domalino

domalino

Just having good pass completion doesn't make him amazing, but it does dispel any idea he couldn't pass a ball to his other CB's.

As I said above, I thought he looked very good in a few patches and made some big tackles and interceptions when Liverpool were on top. He didn't look solid, but considering any ball down our left touchline put liverpool through on goal, no one looked comfortable.

7. He wasn't shit today, but those saying he was great, against a team with 10 men, are totally deluded. We are fucked this season with Stones and Otamendi as integral cogs in our defence.

8. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Holding Down the Low End
    Completely agree.

9. super_city_si

super_city_si

Thought he was good today. Even 11v11 he covered Nico a couple of times and was solid.

10. KCblue

KCblue

Solid display today.