John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did he play last night?

Pretty solid. When the whole team was on it in the first half he was flawless with his passing and defended well.

When things started to heat up in the second half and the pressure was on, he kept his cool and did OK with no mistakes.

One moment stood out to me that showed his decision making and sense of responsibility has improved. There was a ball over the top that Bravo was coming for and Stones was in between the ball and the striker. The ball had quite a bit of spin on it that meant Bravo would've struggled to get there first. Rather than take the risk, Stones read the situation quickly and dealt with it.

Last season I'm not sure he would've stepped in to sort it out.

One moment stood out to me that showed his decision making and sense of responsibility has improved. There was a ball over the top that Bravo was coming for and Stones was in between the ball and the striker. The ball had quite a bit of spin on it that meant Bravo would've struggled to get there first. Rather than take the risk, Stones read the situation quickly and dealt with it.
And then they scored from the resulting corner. ;)

And then they scored from the resulting corner. ;)

Putting it out for a corner was the right thing to do though and that moment is pretty typical of Stones this season vs. last season. He could have let Bravo take responsibility for the ball, and would have done so last season, but instead took it upon himself to make sure nothing happened - the same thing he's done a lot when covering for other defenders in the 3 at the back.

Another good performance in the bag, it wasn't his best of the season but at the moment every one is just another little boost.

Pretty solid. When the whole team was on it in the first half he was flawless with his passing and defended well.

When things started to heat up in the second half and the pressure was on, he kept his cool and did OK with no mistakes.

Last season I'm not sure he would've stepped in to sort it out.
Thanks for that. You really can't tell from the assorted highlights. He is looking very solid at the moment. Long may it continue!

The problem last night is what he had between him... bravo still plays too tight (I thought he'd of learned) and yaya literally occupied the space stones has flourished in this year. You can see the measured improvement merely by having a keeper he trusts and a system where by dinho filters into the back 2/3 when stones pushes on...

Long term Heir to vinnies throne as captain, leader and organiser. Seems to have come on leaps and bounds since last season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.