John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media, of course, do not see the irony in what happened to Stones by him being needlessly overplayed.

They were cynical enough to make a big deal instead of the fact that we had not allowed Sterling and Delph to travel because they were (in their mind 'supposedly') injured and yet they were okay to play this weekend.

When you see what United got in return for allowing an injured player to go and get multiple injections to play and what happened to Stones by being overplayed needlessly those same papers should be investigating why there is no give and take in this apparent necessity for all players to go to internationals.

If they are important games such as qualifiers - fair enough - there should be more leeway and acceptable risks. Though we can point to Belgium for showing how that can be overdone as well.

But PL clubs are just going to get less and less inclined to help out if players who already play many games for their clubs are treated like Stones was. Friendlies are meant to try out new ideas. Not play the same players for 180 minutes.

The media, of course, do not see the irony in what happened to Stones by him being needlessly overplayed.

They were cynical enough to make a big deal instead of the fact that we had not allowed Sterling and Delph to travel because they were (in their mind 'supposedly') injured and yet they were okay to play this weekend.

When you see what United got in return for allowing an injured player to go and get multiple injections to play and what happened to Stones by being overplayed needlessly those same papers should be investigating why there is no give and take in this apparent necessity for all players to go to internationals.

If they are important games such as qualifiers - fair enough - there should be more leeway and acceptable risks. Though we can point to Belgium for showing how that can be overdone as well.

But PL clubs are just going to get less and less inclined to help out if players who already play many games for their clubs are treated like Stones was. Friendlies are meant to try out new ideas. Not play the same players for 180 minutes.

That injury could have happened if he had not played also. He would have played two games for us in any case had there been no break. I get it was a meaningless friendly, but for John it was a chance to stake his claim in the WC as he had not been a first pick up until then.

That injury could have happened if he had not played also. He would have played two games for us in any case had there been no break. I get it was a meaningless friendly, but for John it was a chance to stake his claim in the WC as he had not been a first pick up until then.

If he has been overplayed by say England and if he showed signs of his current injury then I agree he should have been brought off by the England Manager but by the same argument why did Pep play him particularly after his England 180 mins if he was vulnerable ?

If he has been overplayed by say England and if he showed signs of his current injury then I agree he should have been brought off by the England Manager but by the same argument why did Pep play him particularly after his England 180 mins if he was vulnerable ?

Easy said with hindsight. Can't imagine that Pep would've been comfortable leaving Stones out given he was already having to do without Otamendi.

Easy said with hindsight. Can't imagine that Pep would've been comfortable leaving Stones out given he was already having to do without Otamendi.

Agreed, exactly my point about Southgate.
He has been strong and important all season so just one of those things.

John Stones could be side-lined until the New Year according to Pep Guardiola.

The City boss reaffirmed the view that Stones won’t play for up to six weeks, which would take him up to the start of January.

“John will be out between for up to six weeks,” said the Blues’ boss.

“All of the month he will be out but hopefully he will recover well for start of January.”

Stones left the pitch against Leicester with a suspected hamstring injury and was replaced by Eliaquim Mangala with 31 minutes played.

“We don’t have a big squad,” continued the manager. “We lost Vincent Kompany in an international game and now, John Stones.

“It is not easy to play 12 games in a short space of time. I will like seeing how we will react - how players will play in different positions than they are used to playing. Tough situations.

“When things are comfortable, that is not a lot of credit. I want to see how we will react.

“Maybe Tosin Adarabioyo is another option. We will see. It depends on the players. We have Tosin, Brahim and Phil training will us from the beginning of the season.

“They have a chance to play, of course.”

With top spot in Group F still to be decided, Pep added he will select a side that he believes can win the game and all-but secure pole position in the Round of 16.

“The first step we have done. We are already qualified, but for the draw for the last 16, you never know. It is better to play the second leg at home

“I will prepare and the players will prepare to win the game. The Champions League is a prestigious competition. If we are able two in, we are going to do that.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.