John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except the out muscled part. He was pushed and fouled. Yes everything else is right. But he was fouled.

He needs to go down then. He is not a novice. He should know how to win a free kick in that situation. Personally I thought it was shit defending either way.

Just a worry the Stones that has returned isn't the one that started the season for us. We needed his improvement along with Otamendis revival to defend well. Both terrible yesterday.

Because we were pressured like we haven't been for quite some time high up the pitch. They both struggled with this and both were culpable for a goal because of it. There are no teams like Liverpool as good at it though so hopefully it's a one off.

Because we were pressured like we haven't been for quite some time high up the pitch. They both struggled with this and both were culpable for a goal because of it. There are no teams like Liverpool as good at it though so hopefully it's a one off.

I have to disagree with this, I don't think it was because of any press by liverpool. Otamendi has been beating the press all season against similar teams like spurs, arsenal and napoli who are even better at it than livepool. Likewise stones was like that before his injury so clearly they can handle teams that press high. Stones just hasn't looked right since coming back form his injury even before this game.

He needs to go down then. He is not a novice. He should know how to win a free kick in that situation. Personally I thought it was shit defending either way.
You can say "he should have gone down" but it could just as easily been seen as a dive and the ref waves play on and then the same people will be saying "should have tried to stay on his feet"... he really can't win and I feel it's unfair for this particular indecent.

Anyone think Marriner would be let it go if Aguero shoved Lovren like this?

Anyone think Marriner would be let it go if Aguero shoved Lovren like this?
No, because it was a foul. Firminho puts his arm (not his shoulder) in Stones' back, his arm even comes up after contact to illustrate the push.

Tough game for him having not been back from injury very long. We've got some good games coming up to get him back into form. Yes he hasn't been very good since coming back but I wouldn't worry just yet.

I’m still worried about the form he’s carrying. Three games in a row where he made an error the lead to a goal. It just isn’t normal for a defender. Let alone this season’s Stones who was arguably the best defender in the league before his injury. Stopped everything, was a rock, won every header, scored important goals in all comps, & could break the lines with ease

Optimist me says it’s just him back from injury, but hopefully he gets into gear & picks it up soon. We really need him to step it up now with Delph now inured. Have a feeling we’ll be a bit shaky in defense from here on in until Delph is back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.