John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The error was due to lack of composure, as many of his errors are. Surely that's the point, and what's so worrying. Tonight's error very reminiscent of the wild swipe v Burnley.
We all see things differently I guess, in general lack of composure is not something I would level at Stones and I didn't think todays kick indicated a lack of composure it was a mishit clearing volley, as happens to all defenders occasionally I remember Kompany slicing into the back of the net on a couple of occasions, we will see how he goes personally I am optimistic.

We all see things differently I guess, in general lack of composure is not something I would level at Stones and I didn't think todays kick indicated a lack of composure it was a mishit clearing volley, as happens to all defenders occasionally I remember Kompany slicing into the back of the net on a couple of occasions, we will see how he goes personally I am optimistic.
That's fair enough. I'm optimistic too. He clearly has a lot of talent, and some weaknesses. In time he may very well be great, but just at the moment.......

Unfortunately for Stones, everything he gets wrong is leading to a goal. He is pretty unfortunate in that respect. Same was happening last season too.

I’m still not convinced centre back is his best position.

I think he’d be better deployed as a defensive midfielder.

He’s too lightweight and soft against physically strong forwards.

He's shown throughout the season he can defend and isn't lightweight. I don't get the obsession either with turning centre backs into midfielders. How is that going to help him ?

I actually thought he played quite well tonight other then a sliced clearance. Passed the ball well. It's funny reading some of the reactions on here. A player goes from being world class to now he can't defend and isn't good enough as a defender. Complete overeactions. Most players we have go through spells where they aren't playing as well- sane, sterling, aguero.

He has shown the potential he has this season. He could end up being a world class player for us, but it's going to take time and with the system we have he will make mistakes from time to time. Like all of our defenders will.

I actually thought he played quite well tonight other then a sliced clearance. Passed the ball well. It's funny reading some of the reactions on here. A player goes from being world class to now he can't defend and isn't good enough as a defender. Complete overeactions. Most players we have go through spells where they aren't playing as well- sane, sterling, aguero.

He has shown the potential he has this season. He could end up being a world class player for us, but it's going to take time and with the system we have he will make mistakes from time to time. Like all of our defenders will.
The problem is with Stones that his confidence seems to lay far too large a role in how he plays, he does go from world class to pretty bad. He showed that when in form and confident, he is decisive, aggressive and commits 100% to whatever he does. But without that confidence he starts being tentative, indecisive and frankly, far too soft.

All game he was letting long balls bounce or go uncontested, that's rank bad defending and he wouldn't have done that earlier in the year, same for his wild shanked clearances that have led to goals. He needs to get his confidence back, but more importantly he needs to toughen up as you cannot allow so much distance between your best and worst form at this level.

Spot on.

I don't think he played particularly well tonight but neither would I say he made any egregious errors that cost us. The attempted clearance was under pressure to clear it from an attacker and he slightly mishit it , it was an error but a small one although in hte end a goal was scored and I didn't observe anything particularly culpable for the second goal.
He's young and coming back from injury playing in a system where defenders have less protection when they are exposed. He's not been at his best the last few matches but we've seen earlier this season how good he is when he is at his best.
This is the correct view. Neither blue-tinted nor blinkered. He wasn't great, but wasn't horrible. And his miskick error led to their 1st. Those are just the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.