John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the attributes of a great player apart from the vital mental ones. Unfortunately they're the hardest ones to really develop. Can see it in Pep's exasperation with him.

He must have thought he had cracked it earlier in the season but he hasn’t. He won’t be here much longer if he doesn’t step it up. Completely different player since coming back.

He looks either like our best centre back or a complete fraud in a team of stars.

His inconsistency is infuriating to say the least.

Why does he back off back off back off back off in a straight line until a player enters our box and can create a chance or get a shot off? It’s an attribute I’ve noticed since he was at Everton and it’s nothing short of terrible defending. Push him wider, make the angle difficult for a player to run directly into our box, don’t back off give him five yards of easy dribbling space and run in a straight line towards our own net. Who the fuck taught him that and who the fuck isn’t drilling it out of him?

Mistakes happen, he’s made a lot since he’s come back from injury but I’m sure he’ll get his concentration and composure back and stop them happening. But a trait like the backing off needs to be coached out of him...soon!

His confidence must have taken a huge hit when he got that injury as he was playing the best football of his career

He's been a complete liability in any sort of duel . I reckon we wont be seeing much of him for the run in .

Not sure what’s up with him. Before the injury he was one of the top cbs in Europe in PL, CL etc since then he’s looked shook.

Why does he back off back off back off back off in a straight line.. a trait like the backing off needs to be coached out of him...soon!

He was the last man. If he'd made a challenge or even stood his ground he'd have risked being sent off unless he gets the ball. It's a calculated risk backing off because as as long as the player doesn't go past him he can probably still block the shot or cut the angle off.

I thought his general performance last night was an improvement from recent weeks. He needs a solid run of games to get his confidence back.

Last edited:
I think he was. In terms of stats, tackles, pass completion, goals etc he was up there. Could say the same for most top cbs, their job is not to be tested.
There's being properly tested and what you see with your own eyes and then there's happy stats. Not saying he wasn't decent - just not the new lynchpin some make out.
Will he become that? Certainly got the physical and playing attributes - just not sure he's mentallty tough enough or quick enough in his decision making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.