John Stones takes the number 5 shirt

Well I am British, but I would say that's from the early 90s (the last reasonable reference point, as squad numbers then arrived), 5 Hendry/Curle, 6 Redmond/Vonk, 4 Reid/McMahon so hardly 100 years ago. But even then we messed around with things as Sheron wore 8 and Flitcroft was 10 if my memory isn failing me. And they weren't box to box or attacking midfield respectively. MCmahon wore 11 for Liverpool and Barnes was 10, so it wasn't a hard and fast rule anyway. Squad numbers them came in for the 93/94 season which meant things became ridiculous.

For the 442, I'd go with below as a guide

1 GK
2 RB
3,LB
4 CM
5 CB
6 CB
7 RW
8 CM
9 CF
10 CF
11 LW

Not saying you are wrong...just British :). There are two ways of doing it...The Brit way and the other way. The Brit way is based on the fact that the original numbers went like this...

11 10 9 8 7

6 5 4

3 2

As things shifted the numbers stayed the same as they moved to their new location on the field. Thus you have what you posted. Most of the rest of the world use the numbers I posted.

Doyle wore the 4 shirt but in the late sixties and seventies the general practice was the 4 was the DM (Bremner, Storey, Styles, Mullery and the like) and 5 was the big traditional centre half and 6 were the covering CB's. Bobby Moore, Hunter, Smith, Colin Todd, Dave Mackay in his Derby days, Martin Boo Hiss Buchan etc.

Not sure why we did it differently but it was the exception rather than the rule.

Well I am British, but I would say that's from the early 90s (the last reasonable reference point, as squad numbers then arrived), 5 Hendry/Curle, 6 Redmond/Vonk, 4 Reid/McMahon so hardly 100 years ago. But even then we messed around with things as Sheron wore 8 and Flitcroft was 10 if my memory isn failing me. And they weren't box to box or attacking midfield respectively. MCmahon wore 11 for Liverpool and Barnes was 10, so it wasn't a hard and fast rule anyway. Squad numbers them came in for the 93/94 season which meant things became ridiculous.

For the 442, I'd go with below as a guide

1 GK
2 RB
3,LB
4 CM
5 CB
6 CB
7 RW
8 CM
9 CF
10 CF
11 LW

I'm sure I remember Alan Harper wearing 10 and playing full-back during Peter Reid's time as manager.

I'm sure I remember Alan Harper wearing 10 and playing full-back during Peter Reid's time as manager.

Think your right. Although didn't he play in midfield some games? I remember him taking a penalty off Ward and clearing the north stand...!! The twat

Stones just needs to do what he is paid handsomely for and that is not pass to an opposing striker, tackle and clear any problems and keep fucking alert!

Not saying you are wrong...just British :). There are two ways of doing it...The Brit way and the other way. The Brit way is based on the fact that the original numbers went like this...

11 10 9 8 7

6 5 4

3 2

As things shifted the numbers stayed the same as they moved to their new location on the field. Thus you have what you posted. Most of the rest of the world use the numbers I posted.
Easy mate, the British Empire used to rule over the Virginia Colony. Mayhap their number system is superior. ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.