John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm struggling to get my head around the waste that appears to be Mangala. Whoever made that call needs not to be involved in this one.

He's raw potential at the moment for similar money to Mangala, who is also raw potential.

It's bothering me that we've wasted so much money on centre backs. For 40 million I want 26/27 year old who is the finished article.

- Jones Stones

- Football IQ

Pick one.

This is the lad that lost Martial in the final minute of the biggest game he's ever played in, to cost his team a chance at a cup final (and don't come back at me trying to white wash it like I've seen you do before Dax, he was absolutely culpable in that goal).
Even though I disagree with your claim, and have used video to show it was primarily the midfielder who inexplicable decided to let Martial go that was really at fault. But that's neither here nor there. We'll agree to disagree.

The point here is anytime anyone wants to argue how shitty Stones is, they base it on single instances in games across a season. The truth is you could do the same for Kompany. The inexplicable no man's land missed header against Aston Villa, the shank against Liverpool, th crocrodile necking against Bayern etc. If I search my brain long enough I can come up with 20 example s easy. And if I decide to start using the silly logic of trying to accuse him for being at fault anytime he is around the area, I can easily add another 20 more. And this wouldn't include the ones that didn't lead to goals.

Fair enough, he can play it around nicely at the back - so can Denayer, and he won't cost us £45m.
It is all nice and good we love Denayer and he will develop, but it's not just playing it in the back, it's organizing players to comfortably beat presses. Even Kompany at 30 isn't doing that. This is a skill far beyond his age. I don't know why you guys don't see it. It's that clear

have you got a compilation vid of all the times he's lost his man and cost his team a goal this season, Dax? All the times he's made poor challenges in the area (Sterling comes to mind), all the times he's given away the ball in key positions or switched off at key times and failed to recognise danger?
No I don't. But I can assure you it's probably no more than Ota's, Mangalas or any averagely good defender in the league. And there in lies the error in reasoning. Reputation has led many to conclude he loses his man anymore than say Kompany. He doesn't. They lose their men at about the same rate.

ive said it before, but I'm adamant that if this was a Dutch player in the Eredivise we were talking about, he'd be going for no more than £15m and the vast majority on here would be saying he isn't worth the punt and that we should look at alternatives/trust Denayer
Actually if history is prelude, most here would have been all about him, as he wouldn't have the made up commentary based bad reputation... For fuck sake, Mangala!!!!
He's done next to nothing to warrant the hype surrounding him at present,

On this we absolutely agree. He's done nothing to deserve the hype of being a goal causing shit defender.
as far as I'm concerned. The last thing we need next season is another unreliable pet project at the back, in the heart of the defence. He might go on to become a player wroth relying on one day, but at the moment, he's miles off, and I don't believe he's at all worth the gamble that he may amount to something one day at forty five fucking million pounds.

We could use our budget much more wisely as far as I'm concerned.
Well don't think he is miles off. Expensive? Yes. Good? I have no doubts.

How anyone can be impressed by that is beyond me. He passes the ball like any other defender does...often inaccurately. People accuse Mangala of being a poor passer but I see nothing worse than Stones. Dunno could do the same.

Can he actually defend?
Lol. Watch Mangala on the ball. The moment he gets it he is under constant panic until he passes it on.
Watch Stonnes on the other hand and you see a defender who is engaged in possession. A player who opens his hips when passing because he intends to participate in the next phase of required.

He is organizng players comfortablu while on the ball. Pointing out where players need to be, feigning where he wants to go to move the opposition away from who he actually intends to pass it to.

It's not just the passes folks. Watch closes. Pau attention to what he is doing to ease pressure, increase possession and reduce attacks on his team.

Can he defend? By that you mean can he tackle? Apparently as much as Mangala and more often than Kompany.

Hopefully Pep will sort out our midfield and pressing so that the defence won't be exposed as it was time after time last session. Any defender would struggle with the lack of protection we gave them at times. Maybe there will be less jogging back by our left back?

Lol. Watch Mangala on the ball. The moment he gets it he is under constant panic until he passes it on.
Watch Stonnes on the other hand and you see a defender who is engaged in possession. A player who opens his hips when passing because he intends to participate in the next phase of required.

He is organizng players comfortablu while on the ball. Pointing out where players need to be, feigning where he wants to go to move the opposition away from who he actually intends to pass it to.

It's not just the passes folks. Watch closes. Pau attention to what he is doing to ease pressure, increase possession and reduce attacks on his team.

Can he defend? By that you mean can he tackle? Apparently as much as Mangala and more often than Kompany.
On the money

As much as you need muscles, you need brain more to become a football player. Mangala is a physical beast but he relied on his athleticism too much instead of his thinking. He can pocket any attackers 1 on 1 but football is not a 1 on 1 game. This is not ping pong. Like Dax pointed and I have too on many occasions, Mangala plays hot potato with the ball. Everytime he passes the ball away you can feel his relief emanating from his body. He would cripple our team in Pep's system. You don't need athleticism to be a good defender. Cannavaro - the only recent Ballon d' Or winner who's a defender - was standing at a towering 1.72m.

Systems matters. Unless you're Messi or Ronaldo, what system you play in makes a lot of difference. Case in point - Higuain. You think the water in Naples has something to do with him turning into a record goalscorer? No, it's his system. It fits him better than the one in Madrid.

Mangala in other system? Could be world class.
Mangala in Pep's system? Nightmare.
Stones in Martinez's system? Many mistakes.
Stones in Pep's system? Match made in heaven.

Pep is a jockey and he knows exactly what kind of horse he needs. Let's not question our jockey now.

Sorry but Stones IMO passes like a professional footballer, i.e. like the average defender does. Nothing special.

If Stones comes at an average price for a defender then that's cool but to pay premium for the myth and where he was born is repeating ridiculousness. Same madness as last season with Sterling. We are like a gambler with access to the life savings.

Sorry but Stones IMO passes like a professional footballer, i.e. like the average defender does. Nothing special.

If Stones comes at an average price for a defender then that's cool but to pay premium for the myth and where he was born is repeating ridiculousness. Same madness as last season with Sterling. We are like a gambler with access to the life savings.

We are no different to any other top PL club when it comes to player purchases-look at the shit United have signed over the past two seasons ditto Chelsea and certainly the scousers.

We will see a big big difference in the players at the club next season-apart from Bony of course who is simply dreadful.

Stones is 21-sometimes you have to buy potential, our bad buys of recent are so called established internationals, Txiki has been average so far in bringing good players in but for me we have to trust who Pep wants us to buy, Stones will undoubtedly improve at City.

Hopefully Pep will sort out our midfield and pressing so that the defence won't be exposed as it was time after time last session. Any defender would struggle with the lack of protection we gave them at times. Maybe there will be less jogging back by our left back?

Yup Pep will know how to cover players weakness and play to their strengths. He probably won't tell the full backs to bomb forward as much and have the midfield control the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.