Jose Gimenez

Gimenez is the best young center back in the world imo. I've never seen a defender that young play so consistently well. Having said that i don't think he's a Pep defender, Laporte is more suited to that style.

If we end up paying his 50m release clause and say 40m on Stones, add that to the 70m we spent on Otamendi and Mangala we will have splashed out over 150m on 4 CBs none of which you can claim are world class. Frightening.

We could easily have 2 or even 3 within 18 months though...IMO.

Sorry all...dont give me a hard time for it(just my opinion!) but I just dont see anything in Mangala's game that shows he's a Pep CB....if we end up going with Managla as our starting CB, its only because we missed on Laporte, Gimenez and Stones....The fact that our two main, long term targets have been central defenders and that we tried to loan him out last summer, shows the club dont have much confidence in him....He's big and strong and can man-mark a big and strong striker but he's never going to be the ball playing CB Pep wants and his reading of the game is poor...I'd keep him on the squad as a backup if someone gets injured but in my opinion, I dont want to see him anywhere near the starting 11....I guess I'm outnumbered in my view but just being honest!;)
I agree. We need to bring in two CBs. Stones looks to be on the way, I really hope we get Giminez as well. Any young CB breaking through for Athleticos back line, I'm all about. Pay whatever it takes

Is he? Or is Athletico's defensive style make it easier to look a good defender?
I think it's a case of both. Obviously it helps a lot having the best defender in the world beside you who not only speaks your language but is a fellow countryman. Then you have the likes of Gabi, Juanfran, Luis etc all around you with a soild keeper too. But you can still tell the individual quality and Alderweireld is a good example of this. He was one of the best defenders in england last season but he was poor for Atletico. For whatever reason he just didn't settle in and he was already a 24 year old Belgium international. In stark contrast Gimenez got his chance at 19 when Miranda got injured and has looked like an experienced defender from the very first game. He was so good that when Miranda came back he couldn't get his place back in the starting eleven.

Look I have high hopes with Denayer too. But honestly it's discouraging that he couldn't even start for Belgium that only has 2 able defenders. At first he was gonna start at CB with Alderweireld on the right. But Wilmots changed it. Why? Maybe he thinks Denayer isn't good enough to start at CB. So start at RB then? Again, no. Wilmots preferred freakin Ciman and Meuniere than Denayer. Just think about it.

I wouldn't look into it that much

Deschamps left out benzema and lacazette and brought giroud and gignac

Pellers kept on bringing on demichelis in midfield rather than playing a youth player.

It's called being stubborn

Denayer will get his chance in preseason

Edit: the Switzerland manager plays a striker that's scored 4 goals all season rather than play embolo who's better and looks more promising

Provided we can get him for a decent price would he not be a better option than Koulibaly given his age? Not watched him but Was very highly rate in recent years where as Koulibaly seems to have been highly rated much later in his career. I am sure he fits the bill in terms of ability on the ball. He is not short, Whats he like for athleticism ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...adrid-defender-Jose-Maria-Gimenez-summer.html

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.