Ju-Jitsu

oman0115

any bluemooners practice the art of jujitsu? I had a hip replacement this year, and had planned to get back to boxing but currently can’t really twist comfortably or throw power shots. It’s reallt frustrating. I am thinking maybe trying something different. Question is ( probably a stupid one haha ) how much strain goes into your hips?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did it for about 3 yrs inside stramgeways with the screws pre riot. It was Atemi Ju-Jitsu, so lots of striking but loads of variations on hip throw. Saying that a good tutor will help you decide and find alternatives

I’ve done Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for just over 12 months. I’ve done a bit of Boxing too. BJJ is far more demanding on the body than boxing. I think there is one of the older guys in out gym that has had a hip replacement though and seems fine.

)
any bluemooners practice the art of jujitsu? I had a hip replacement this year, and had planned to get back to boxing but currently can’t really twist comfortably or throw power shots. It’s reallt frustrating. I am thinking maybe trying something different. Question is ( probably a retarded one haha ) how much strain goes into your hips?

Give it a whirl but let the instructor know your background first, I'd say pay for a private lesson first, 1-2-1 rather than open class and free rolling. you use your hips a lot, think about full guard, shrimping, bridgeing etc but with regards to straining I guess you wont know until your try.
I haven't trained for over 2 years now and I've had a drink or two so I'm trying my best to remember! The irony is when you're amazing at it, its effortless, but to get there its a lot of practice and whilst I'm a bit pissed I distinctly remember coming out of the first ever session me and a mate went to, both of us had boxed, were reasonable distance runners at the time and regular circuit trainers at the time and when we came out neither of us had EVER been that knackered before.

But please don't let that put you off, that was from the free rolling at the end rather than the teaching, like I said, 1-2-1 is the best way to start I reckon given your situation,
A lad who started about the same time as me had to stop to have fucking spinal surgery (not from BJJ I should add) and I've seen on FB that after a long recovery he just competed in his first tourney.

I'm over in Warrington but the guy who teaches comes over from Manchester and a nicer geezer you couldn't hope to meet let me know if you want his details

In fact fuck it, I need to start training again in the new year. you just convinced me!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.