Julian Weigl

Discussion in 'Transfer forum' started by Bombo, 13 Jan 2016.

1. BlueAnorak

BlueAnorak

A DM in the Premier League has to have some pace - FACT. If he hasn't then he's fucked - especially as a single DM/Pivot.
    I like the player but I have huge concerns about his pace

2. Larry Stranger

Larry Stranger

I understand what you are saying and I too at first thought we need someone like Busquets rather than a destroying DM. However, look at this years squad and what we currently have now. It's either Dihno or Yaya in that position. Yaya is by far better at controlling the ball than Dihno. He is more of a Busquets or Weigl than is Dihno. Yet Pep prefers Dihno. I think he has figured for the PL you need someone quicker and a little more physical in that position than in other leagues. Look and when the opposition lumps the ball up and how many times Dihno is there winning or trying to win the ball in the air. He tries to knock it down and Silva or KDB sweep it up and knock it back to Ederson. I think that's the difference. I'm beginning to think that he is starting to prefer a player who is slightly more of a DM. That's not to say he would go for a Kante, but more of a quick physical player who has decent enough skill on the ball. Who he will go for I don't know.

3. FCBarca

FCBarca

Don't agree with this, at all. Pep, trust in Pep. Pep doesn't require his DM to have pace (Alonso & Busquets) but the primary reason Fernandinho is used over Yaya is more due to the Ivorian's lack of legs, not pace.

Weigl would be ideal for what Pep wants and it would appear that the player is interested in the prospect of coming as well

4. ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Pep uses a DM who can pass, tackle, take a foul and protect his back two down the middle AND the flanks.

Dinho can do it all, quietly getting the job done, and making the players around him better by allowing them to concentrate on what they do best! No one thinks of Silva or KDB as hard nosed midfielders who you wouldn’t fancy meeting in the center circle for a 50-50!

5. BlueAnorak

BlueAnorak

Disagree all you want, but the way teams defend deep and hit us at pace on the counter means pace IS required. Having at least one fullback with pace and a keeper who comes off his line quickly helps, but a single DM has to have a lot of pace in the Prem.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2017
  6. MCFCFanTX

MCFCFanTX

N/A
    Pace or not, I believe Weigl is an incredible footballer and would be a fantastic addition to the squad. Hopefully the mutual interest is very real.

7. Rolee

Rolee

The way some are talking here you'd swear Weigl was Jan Molby. He has enough pace from what I've seen to play that role for us.

8. adr2.8i

adr2.8i

Father, Lover, and Buffoon
    jan molby would be a great addition to our squad! what a player. What a passer! And he wasnt always fat and slow! look at his pressing and determination to win the ball back!

9. Rolee

Rolee

You're right, I should've said Jan Molby in his latter years. You get my point though.

10. FCBarca

FCBarca

I haven't seen one case of the DM needing to be a pacy player coming into question, irrespective of the Premiership. Yes, it's always ideal to have every outfield player be fleet footed but a DM predicated on having pace for Pep? No