Jury Duty

Its too much responsibility for many of lesser IQs to handle. They often cant see past the fact that if they find people guilty they may end up in prison. The simple truth of the matter these days is that courts do not want to run trials, they cost. There are many previous hearings at Crown Court before the actual trial involving the CPS and the defence and the judge does and will encourage early guilty pleas or pleas to like or lesser offences. The CPS often accept such pleas too. If a defendant runs a trial the reality is it because he has nothing to lose. The other reality is that to even get someone charged, the evidence has to be hugely strong. To get to trial, be assured that the defendant has committed the crime. Unfortunately they then out their faith in the jury being weak or daft, and it sometimes works.

Its definitely an eye opener. I did it a few years ago and ended up on a pretty important case where a man had been accused of something pretty bad. We spent a week listening to evidence and it was very interesting and informative, but at the end of the trial there were 11 people who were unable to say either way if he'd done it. However one person was hell bent on sending him to the pits of hell. They just kept arguing and arguing that he was guilty and they could just tell. Not pointing to any evidence but said they could see it in his face.

Pretty scary really as that guys foreseeable future was in our hands and there were people on the jury who were not interested in the evidence, purely based their judgement on emotion.

Just finished my two-week stint and it was probably one of the worst experiences of my life. Beforehand I was dreading not being assigned to a case and having to sit on my arse waiting for two weeks, but now I think that would have been the lesser of two evils!

I won't go into details but suffice to say the case I did in my first week was pretty unpleasant. It wasn't so much the nature of the crime - I've heard much, much worse - but the weight of the responsibility on a jury. When someone commits a violent crime they do their time and come out with a clean slate and free to live among society as normal (even if their crimes have traumatised their victims for life). With sex offenders, you're basically condemning them twice - once with a custodial sentence, and then the 'life sentence' of being on the register. That's what makes it so much more difficult compared to other types of crimes.

The judge told us of course that we had to be 'satisfied' that there was enough evidence to convict the defendant, but I don't think anyone who has a healthy skeptical mind can ever be fully satisfied. There is always that bit of doubt in your mind, and when you hear the cries and wails of the defendant and his family, it goes right through you. I'll never forget it.

The courts don't prepare jurors for that, and there's no guidance for how to cope. When we retired after the guilty verdicts were announced to deliberate further on a third count, some of the jurors were in tears. It was pretty grim. One didn't bother turning up - a young lad for whom the weight of it all was probably too much. He'll no doubt get into a shitload of trouble, but at the time I honestly felt that I'd have rather paid a £1000 fine than go through it. There were a couple of others who made no contribution at all, and just seemed to vote based on the majority. I know it's hard, but there was man's life at stake, FFS. Put a little effort in!

The whole process just eroded what little faith I had in the jury system. The idea of asking 12 strangers who know little about the law to make such a decision just doesn't seem right, nor is it managed or conducted well. When we first retired, the first comment came from an old Daily Mail-reading man about how dysfunctional the victim's family were. I was quick to remind him that they weren't on trial for being dysfunctional, but it makes you think that if all 12 jurors - selected at random - had been of the same mindset as this guy, the jury could have come to a different verdict. Justice is essentially down to chance (of who gets on the jury), and also to how competent the barristers are.

Most countries do without juries. In the Netherlands, it's a panel of qualified judges that make the decision. It means that they've seen every trick in the book that lawyers might use on juries to get their defendant off.

I've spent many days in court and around the court system over my years in work.

The whole system is just an old boys network and a big game & that's before it even gets into court.

I would quite like a spot of jury service tho to be honest, it'd be nice just to see the 'finished product' and I'm not being flippant.

Its too much responsibility for many of lesser IQs to handle. They often cant see past the fact that if they find people guilty they may end up in prison. The simple truth of the matter these days is that courts do not want to run trials, they cost. There are many previous hearings at Crown Court before the actual trial involving the CPS and the defence and the judge does and will encourage early guilty pleas or pleas to like or lesser offences. The CPS often accept such pleas too. If a defendant runs a trial the reality is it because he has nothing to lose. The other reality is that to even get someone charged, the evidence has to be hugely strong. To get to trial, be assured that the defendant has committed the crime. Unfortunately they then out their faith in the jury being weak or daft, and it sometimes works.

That's just not true. For example, as a magistrate I heard one trial where a 17 year old was accused of assaulting a 75 year old. The CPS produced a photo which showed the complainant with his face in a terrible state, black and blue, one eye completely shut, cheek swollen like a football.

The incident occured on a bus and was captured on CCTV which clearly showed the 75 year old approach the defendent and then swing his walking stick at him (apparently they'd had an argument before getting on the bus). The defendent (who did a bit of boxing) ducked and then when old man swung at him again, instinctively jabbed and caught him once. The one punch made a mess of the complainant's face but it was clearly self defence and we found the defendant not guilty.

Afterwards, after the defendant and complainant had left the court, we were chatting to the lawyers and I said something to the CPS lawyer about the CCTV coverage making it extremely difficult for her to get a conviction. She replied "Yes, but imagine if we hadnt prosecuted and Mr X had gone to the press with that photo?"

There are all kinds of "political" considerations that infulence whether a case goes to trial.

Can't imagine being stuck on a really long high profile case, fucking nightmare. Probably be completely broke financially too. I got called this winter, sat in the Court room for four hours during the selection process, managed to talk my way out of it as my employees would have to miss work too. They sent me a cheque for $11.60

Just done my two weeks. It's not easy, especially when the first vote is six all.

I think we got to the right decision in the end judging by the defendants reaction, but felt that the weight of the approaching weekend swayed some of the more vocal jurors to change their opinion a bit too quickly, to avoid a third week.

I'd have preferred them to stick to their guns even if it meant we ended up a mis-trial.

Just finished my two-week stint and it was probably one of the worst experiences of my life. Beforehand I was dreading not being assigned to a case and having to sit on my arse waiting for two weeks, but now I think that would have been the lesser of two evils!

I got called up a few years ago and for the first week and a half I did nothing but sit in the fucking waiting room waiting to be assigned. That's like 8 hours a day, having to treck into Manchester just to do fuck all, I've never been so bored. Think in the end I got through about 6 books.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.