Jury Duty

Raffaelle Sollecito (Amanda Knox's boyfriend) is suing the judge, prosectutors and the jury for damages in respect of his original conviction.

That will increase the popularity of jury service in Italy.
It won't work, he can sue the state as they're responsible for the conduct of the prosecution and police force, or his own defence team for not putting in the required work, but the jury can only judge the evidence put in front of them.

It won't work, he can sue the state as they're responsible for the conduct of the prosecution and police force, or his own defence team for not putting in the required work, but the jury can only judge the evidence put in front of them.

Apparently he's claiming that his conviction was malicious.

Apparently he's claiming that his conviction was malicious.
If he's trying to imply that the jury had prior bias against him, it's his defence team's responsibility to guard against that in jury selection and weed out any unfit jurors.

I did it and loved it but did not get to the verdict bit as the case got dismissed half way through. My jury pool were a good mix of people and I'm quite happy to talk to strangers so was good fun. I'd say that half the people loved it and saw it as a bit of a holiday from work the other half were concerned about getting back to work. I was nearly in tears when they said I could go home after a week. Oh and where else do you get to do jigsaws nowadays.

If I ever need a good laugh then I watch that episode of Peep Show where Jeremy has to do jury service. He starts an ill advised affair with the defendant.

The remuneration system for jury service is shite. They compensate a max of twopence ha'penny for loss of wages. Well that's OK if you earn twopence ha'penny or if your employer makes up the difference. If you're self-employed, you potentially lose a bundle of money as well as being dragged away from your contract/clients/workplace.

Sod that for a game of soldiers.

The remuneration system for jury service is shite. They compensate a max of twopence ha'penny for loss of wages. Well that's OK if you earn twopence ha'penny or if your employer makes up the difference. If you're self-employed, you potentially lose a bundle of money as well as being dragged away from your contract/clients/workplace.

Sod that for a game of soldiers.
If you're a contractor you can get jury service insurance for about £70 a year. Also it's possible to claim on some home insurance policies, usually if you have legal protection, for loss of earnings. Otherwise, yes, it's poor remuneration.

Ok just finished 4 trial weeks at Minshull St

The court system is bloated and antiquated and needs a huge overhaul
The amout of waste,in terms of resources and time is a scandal
The court sits from 10:30am till 1pm
Then 2:15 pm till 4:30pm,so that's possible maximum of 4,3/4 hours a day,
Some days we didn't start until 11:30am and finished at 2:30pm
I do understand all the background work by the barristers and juniors but everything,and I mean everything should be ready to go on the first day of the trial,the amount of times we had to leave the court due to matters of law was a joke

As for the compensation you receive for being effectively held against your will is frightening
First 10 days
£32:47 for under 4 hours
£64:95 for over 4 hours
Day 11 to 200
£64:95 for over 4 hours
£129:91 for over 4 hours
Now these are the maximum amounts you can claim per day
So if you are a well paid by your employer,you are well and truly up shit creek
I'm down by about £300 over the month
Nobody's should profit from doing jury service,but by the same token nobody should lose out either
Im glad I have done it,and we've been exempt for 10 years due to the length of the trial,but I didn't really have a choice

Last edited:
If I ever need a good laugh then I watch that episode of Peep Show where Jeremy has to do jury service. He starts an ill advised affair with the defendant.

That is a great episode. You could see it happening too in real life. Maybe not with the high profile trials but the smaller offences.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.