Juventus Away - Piazza san Carlo Torino meetup?

MadchesterCity

Haalander; There can be only one, two, THREE!
Team supported
‘Rodri, Rodri, Rodri’ !!! PinchMe PinchMe PinchMe THREE was the magic number !!! CITY CITY CITY Manchester England Europe
Piazza san Carlo Torino looks awesome spot for City fans for pre-match drinks

Is this the likely meetup point for City fans?

31-08-2015-16-21-33.png

JuveFans.png

Map and info taken from another football fan forum from a Torino Fan named "Dalaik"

"So, whether you take the train from Milan or the bus from Turin Airport, your destination is the same: The Porta Nuova Railway station in Turin. DO NOT get off the bus/train at the previews stop, Porta Susa, wait for the final stop. Exiting the station (if you arrive by train) or just crossing the street (if you take the bus from the Airport) you will see a small garden, called Piazza Carlo Felice. Cross it or go around it and you will find the start of the central Via Roma. This is the start of the blue line you see on the map.

pianta_torino_zps7eae545f-1_zps011fa01e.jpg

Go straight and after 4-5 blocks you ll reach the Piazza San Carlo, a beautiful square with classy coffee bars on both sides and a statue in the middle. If the day is sunny you can definitely sit down and drink your coffee there (but you ll pay it more than 1 euro). Actually if you look at the picture below, that arch that you see in th distance behind the statue is the Railway Station. Not far at all.

346d58c8-b0b4-488f-b750-bc04eb731946_zpsddb1e84f.jpg

Continue on Via Roma and after another 3-4 blocks you ll arrive at the Piazza Castello.

piazzacastello_nr_67_2_n12_zps79b05794.jpg

This is the place where most of the foreign fans gather. It's pretty, it's central, it has a lot of space and you can find some decent pizza places or McDonald's for those who dont like international cuisine. :P

At this point you can either follow the yellow arrow and go towards Via Garibaldi (one square away from Piazza Castello you ll find the Juventus store, feel free to call them bastards!), another commercial street, and walk around the nearby vicoli (smaller, narrow streets) until you reach Piazza Statuto, OR you can follow the green arrow, take Via Po and reach the Piazza Vittorio Veneto, another good place for a coffee or beer. The bars there are less pretentious because there's the social studies University nearby, and this means that you can also find cheap food. The view is also great.

PiazzaVittorio-63_zpsd435a312.jpg

TorinoGranMadrePo-800_zps8c6bb868.jpg

In general, the city center is the area between the red lines, there's really no reason to go away from those. Dont get fooled, it's not a big area, and you can definitely see all of it in 2-3 hours."

General Information

If you re a smoker, the "tabacchi" will be your best friends. These are the only places where you can buy cigarettes, and you can notice them by the big white "T" on a blue or black background.

71469-big-1-01TABACCHI_zps0ef5b122.jpg

They are open from 7.30 in the morning until 19.30 in the evening. After that it's going to be difficult to buy cigarettes because to use the vending machines you have to insert your Natinal Health System card. In the tabacchi you can also buy bus tickets, if you ever need them. A bus ticket costs 1,5 euros and is valid for 70 minutes OR for a single entrance in the Metro system.

Food and Drink: Finding street food in Turin is pretty easy. In every block there will be a pizzeria, or a baker shop that makes pizza, or a "pizza al taglio" shop (a small place that sells slices of pizza and usually has few or 0 places to sit). The cost for a whole pizza varies from 4-5 euros for a Margherita (tomato and mozzarella) to 7-8 euros for pizzas with more ingredients. A slice of pizza usually costs from 1,4 euros to 1,8, and it also depends on the ingredients. Another very common type of street food is the kebap, which I m sure that you already know. The city is full of them and I m not a particular fan of it, but you can fill your stomach with 3,5 euros, the usual cost of a kebap sandwich. One of my favourite spots for a proper pizza, and very very central, is the Sfashion Caffe' (Via Cesare Battisti 13), I will mark it with a red dot on the map. ( Btw, I m not affiliated in any way with the place, I just find it very pretty!).

I dont know if they're going to impose a ban on alcohol the day you guys will be here. They have done it before and I find it stupid and annoying. The problem is that IF they do, the majority of the supermarkets in the city center will follow it, and getting a beer can become problematic. In that case you can either try and convince a local to buy some beer for you (but that's gonna be a bit hard, a Torinese's reaction to a foreigner's request is to just walk faster) or try some smaller shops that will certainly not refuse a good bargain. I would suggest trying a shop one block away from the station, ran by Ukrainians or something, with products from their region. The beer isnt bad, and it's well priced (I will mark it on the map and give you the adress later). IF the police doesnt impose any bans, you wont have any problem, the city center has a lot of supermarkets.

Now, the two most well known British-type pubs in Turin are nearby the railway station.
One of them is called The Six Nations Pub (Corso Vittorio Emmanuele 28) and the other one is almost attached to the station, and it's called "The Tetley Huntsman" (Corso Vittorio Emmanuele 43). I will mark them wit two black spots on the map.

HOW TO GET TO THE STADIUM

I don't know if the police has made any particular arrangements for football fans, but if you want to go to the stadium by yourselves, you d better do it as a large group. I don't think anyone will feel like messing with you anyway.There are two ways to reach the stadium and both involve the tram number 9.

You can either take it in front of the Porta Nuova railway station (and it's the longest solution), direction Via Borgaro- Corso Molise- Terminal GTT Stadio, OR bypass a huge part of the distance by taking the metro. You can take it from the railway station, direction towards FERMI, and exit at the Bernini stop. From there,and using the same ticket, you take the tram number 9 again (the stop is right in front of the metro exit) and reach the stadium.

metrotorino2_zps7e322070.jpg

Last edited:
Arse stabbing proof boxers a pre requisite!

Torino isn't Rome or Naples. The last stabbings in Torino happened in 2009 when Chelsea were in town and then again during 2011 summer, but that was a fight between Juve groups .. Torino is a much easier going Away than the two cities I mentioned above. Be respectful of the city you are visiting and the locals and there won't be any bother from Juve fans..

As for Piazza San Carlo, I think it's perfect ... big square, plenty of bars in the area .. I reckon the weather is gonna be freezing again

We were all advised to go and meet in the Huntsman pub before and after the Europa game a few years back.
No mither at all but the game was really low key.

Didn't seem much about at the game in 2010, then again all I remember that it was a boring game and it was f*cking freezing!
Aye, Piazza San Carlo was almost totally empty when we were there for that match, found a very nice pizzeria just off the Piazza in the afternoon and that was about it! Coldest I've ever been at a match (didn't go to Kiev).

Torino isn't Rome or Naples. The last stabbings in Torino happened in 2009 when Chelsea were in town and then again during 2011 summer, but that was a fight between Juve groups .. Torino is a much easier going Away than the two cities I mentioned above. Be respectful of the city you are visiting and the locals and there won't be any bother from Juve fans..

As for Piazza San Carlo, I think it's perfect ... big square, plenty of bars in the area .. I reckon the weather is gonna be freezing again

Let's hope we get decent weather but as you say it's Nove,bee so could be very freezing.

Turin isn't anywhere near as bad as Rome or Napoli so think it should be safe enough

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.