Kelechi Iheanacho - 2016/17 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
No argument with his scoring record, but I've been unconvinced his all round game was good enough to play the lone striker role in a Pep team. It's vital that the ball sticks and the striker retains possession. otherwise our attacking midfielders end up in no mans land, and it's this area of his game that has been concerning me. I thought he was sloppy against United, but he was much better yesterday. If he can improve this area of his game we'll have a hell of a player on our hands, because his finishing is natural and clinical.

The kid is 19 for crying out loud. He will improve on that. How about being positive on that rather than thinking the kid is crap.

I guess we should bench him and damage his development in those areas. He can't improve on those areas if he doesn't play. Also putting trust in him will improve his confidence and give him the confidence to improve.

For his age he is incredible at leading the line and linking up play. He isn't going to be Messi or Aguero at the age of 19. It's a good thing for the club and the player that he is playing and scoring.

Also despite what you think, a return of 2 goals and 2 assists in 2 starts is an excellent return for someone leading the line, because in the real world GOALS WIN GAMES!!!!

His stats are insane.

24fcima.jpg

To make sense of the table in the PL, for example, he has made 30 appearances or which 9 were starts and 21 as a sub and he has scored 10 goals. Overall he has now scored 17 goals in all comps.

Not shown in the table but those 17 goals have come in just 1379 minutes and a strike rate of 81 mins per goal which is ridiculous. Then can add-in 7 assists as well.

I didn't see it until MOTD last night but look at the fourth goal again. Kelechi's run takes away the CB and creates the gap Gundogan gets the ball in - it's a great bit of play and there's no goal without it.

I thought his all-round play yesterday was superb. His link up with Sterling is brilliant and he holds the ball up very well before bringing Sterling or KDB into it with lay offs.

Another note, people were talking about getting another striker and some people even talk about that, but the problem is that getting another striker that is the level or close to the level of Aguero wouldn't want to be benched and would cost a fortune.

Investing in Iheanacho is investing in Man City's future. It also gets the stigma away that Man City doesn't develop it's own youth.

Rashford: 1890 minutes, 10 goals, 2 assists, a goal every 189 minutes, a goal or assist every 158 minutes

Iheanacho: 1471 minutes, 17 goals, 8 assists, a goal every 87 minutes, a goal or assist every 59 minutes

To the argument that Man Utd under Mourinho isn't a freescoring team... well, it isn't like Iheanacho suddenly improved his goalscoring ratio under Pep. He had a similar effectiveness last season and with Nigeria he's on 3 goals and 2 assists in 282 minutes, that's a goal every 94 minutes or a goal or assist every 56 minutes. Remarkably similar ratios.

I didn't see it until MOTD last night but look at the fourth goal again. Kelechi's run takes away the CB and creates the gap Gundogan gets the ball in - it's a great bit of play and there's no goal without it.

I thought his all-round play yesterday was superb. His link up with Sterling is brilliant and he holds the ball up very well before bringing Sterling or KDB into it with lay offs.

I think his link up play with Sterling or Bony was great last season. The few times however Aguero and Iheanacho were on the field together they looked totally incompatible. That's what worries me with Iheanacho's progression at the club. However I think its more of an issue with Aguero who is a tad too selfish. Anyhow, can Pep deal with this?

There was a moment yesterday when he hadn't even been the player losing the ball, but he sprinted the whole length of the pitch from centre forward to left back to win the ball back. Puts a shift in for the team on top of being incredibly prolific.

He displays football intelligence way beyond his years. He has a genuine goal scoring instinct too. For evidence, look at his goals against United and Palace.

I think his link up play with Sterling or Bony was great last season. The few times however Aguero and Iheanacho were on the field together they looked totally incompatible. That's what worries me with Iheanacho's progression at the club. However I think its more of an issue with Aguero who is a tad too selfish. Anyhow, can Pep deal with this?

Aguero is the main reason other strikers/No 10s have struggled at City imo. He is dificult to play alongside.

Occasionally he will put a team mate in, but of the goals scored yesterday 2 would either be Aguero's or nobody's. He wouldn't have looked for a pass like Kelechi & Sterling did, he would try to score, 99 times out of 100. Same with Nolito's goals at Stoke.

But he is the best, so it's how it will be.

It gives the oppo a different problem though. Thay have to stop selfish but fantastic Serge, but if he isn't there, suddenly they have players who pass to each other. Totally different problem. Sane coming through & Gabriel Jesus in Jan, who may turn out to be better than the lot of them imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.