We were referred to a book by Karen Thomson (Granddaughter of heart surgeon Christiaan Barnard) called 'Sugar Free - 8 Weeks to Freedom from Sugar and Carb Addiction'

Just ordered from Amazon! When I try to explain all the benefits of this way of living to my wife how it all works and how the food can be good and tasty, she shrugs and carries on eating high sugar “health food” like fruits and pasta and brown rice, etc... and doing her workouts! I try to explain how this diet can actually leverage her heavy workout routine (swimming, yoga, weights) to better AND QUICKER results, to no avail.

However, she is an avid reader, so I’m hoping this book will help her quickly get the gist from someone who is explaining it professionally and in detail, with recipes I think she will like. Book arrives Sunday, so we’ll see soon enough!

Thanks for the referral.

There is only one diet for optimal health whole food plant based.

If you do like your meat and dairy keep it to a minimum or suffer the consequences.

It's incredibly simple.

There is only one diet for optimal health whole food plant based.

If you do like your meat and dairy keep it to a minimum or suffer the consequences.

It's incredibly simple.

Fuck off back to the vegan thread with this bollocks, you’ve spouted enough of it in there without contaminating this once with more bullshit.
You’re like an ex-smoker or born again Christian who’s got to tell the world you’re right.

Fuck off back to the vegan thread with this bollocks, you’ve spouted enough of it in there without contaminating this once with more bullshit.
You’re like an ex-smoker or born again Christian who’s got to tell the world you’re right.
Just trying to help people sorry about that.

Good luck to you.

Just a quick update:

Today I was advised by my doctor to quit the diet as he believes it could potentially interfere with my stimulant treatment for ADHD. I stated that I had been feeling dreadful for the past 10 days or so, and couldn’t determine if it was because of keto, my new dose of Ritalin or a combination of the two.

I have probably had over 50 grams of carbohydrates since the discussion but I do have mixed emotions about quitting after just three weeks. Unfortunately it seems as if I picked the worst possible time to try the Ketogenic diet.

I'm glad there's a topic on this fantastic diet and not to many folk giving it a hard time.

It's Week 7 and I feel brilliant, lost over a stone and half and cured a ton of problems I was getting and the healthiest I've ever felt.

So here's my honest feelings about the ketogenic diet.
I think as a diet it's as healthy as it gets. Although I would consider taking some supplements mainly eletrolytes. Initially it was tough, giving up so many carbs, crisps, beer, potatoes and stuff and the keto flu was different, leaving me feeling like I was walking in mud with lead boots on, however after a few day I overcome it, by replacing eletrolytes and after 4-5 weeks my energies returned and gradually became much better than before keto. My joints felt brilliant and my mind concentration also improved pre Keto.

I've had a lot of negativity from folk at work and when you consider I work with in the NHS I was a bit surprised, although considering we are around ten years behind America and 5 behind australia I shouldn't have. Most folks and even some Dr (friends) were concerned about my cholesterol increasing (laughable as one of them put a Rolo in his mouth), however on the whole only your good cholesterol rises and that's a massive bonus.

I've also read a few articles trying to scare people off, however they're almost alway connected to the same bullshit diet beliefs and (poor) studies of the70s and 80s, when carbs were found to be a cheap substainable way to feed the world.

Using the substainable word again, I also heard that "It's NOT substainable"...well eating the shite I regular ate was NOT and I was heading for heart disease fast. So yes it it!

Besides theirs millions of people who have done it for 10 plus years and are still looking and feeling brilliant.

The proof is in the pudding...even if this pudding is a little bit less a pudding than several weeks ago...and for me thats good enough.

Just a quick update:

Today I was advised by my doctor to quit the diet as he believes it could potentially interfere with my stimulant treatment for ADHD. I stated that I had been feeling dreadful for the past 10 days or so, and couldn’t determine if it was because of keto, my new dose of Ritalin or a combination of the two.

I have probably had over 50 grams of carbohydrates since the discussion but I do have mixed emotions about quitting after just three weeks. Unfortunately it seems as if I picked the worst possible time to try the Ketogenic diet.

I'm gutted I've just seen this.

Reading your posts on the subject had me wondering if your keto experiment and your feeling rough was because your body was purging bad toxins through GM foods and old medications lay dormant in your body?

Rather than be asked to come off the ketosis trial, your doc could have altered the dosage of medication you were on to a lower level to balance what your body was working with and saw what happened. Docs regurgitate a LOT of safe information that they only know about. Guideline stuff, not expertise.

I mean think about it, if your body was shedding toxins, then the dosage you were on may not have had to be high because it wasn't wading through and mixing with other meds in the body.

Just a thought...

I'm glad there's a topic on this fantastic diet and not to many folk giving it a hard time.

It's Week 7 and I feel brilliant, lost over a stone and half and cured a ton of problems I was getting and the healthiest I've ever felt.

So here's my honest feelings about the ketogenic diet.
I think as a diet it's as healthy as it gets. Although I would consider taking some supplements mainly eletrolytes. Initially it was tough, giving up so many carbs, crisps, beer, potatoes and stuff and the keto flu was different, leaving me feeling like I was walking in mud with lead boots on, however after a few day I overcome it, by replacing eletrolytes and after 4-5 weeks my energies returned and gradually became much better than before keto. My joints felt brilliant and my mind concentration also improved pre Keto.

I've had a lot of negativity from folk at work and when you consider I work with in the NHS I was a bit surprised, although considering we are around ten years behind America and 5 behind australia I shouldn't have. Most folks and even some Dr (friends) were concerned about my cholesterol increasing (laughable as one of them put a Rolo in his mouth), however on the whole only your good cholesterol rises and that's a massive bonus.

I've also read a few articles trying to scare people off, however they're almost alway connected to the same bullshit diet beliefs and (poor) studies of the70s and 80s, when carbs were found to be a cheap substainable way to feed the world.

Using the substainable word again, I also heard that "It's NOT substainable"...well eating the shite I regular ate was NOT and I was heading for heart disease fast. So yes it it!

Besides theirs millions of people who have done it for 10 plus years and are still looking and feeling brilliant.

The proof is in the pudding...even if this pudding is a little bit less a pudding than several weeks ago...and for me thats good enough.

I absolutely concur with this working within the NHS myself.

I've had the same opinions/ 'worries' levelled against me!!

I’m not doing Keto rather low carb. Best thing I’ve done. I have lost 54lb since Mid March.

I’ve limited my alcohol intake significantly and make all my meals using fresh ingredients every day.

It’s been 10 years since I last weighed under 20 stone and currently 18 and a half. I now can walk well over 4-5 miles per day where before I couldn’t walk half a mile without chronic back ache. So for me this is a lifestyle change.

I absolutely concur with this working within the NHS myself.

I've had the same opinions/ 'worries' levelled against me!!

Crazy really, I'd love the NHS to put some diabetic folk on a keto diet and see the outcome.

The Autistic approach which some have talked about is because the brain is better using fats and not sugar.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.