Kevin and David vs Xavi and Iniesta

One game at Madrid away Barça has a man sent off and Xavi and Iniesta still ran the game and beat Madrid.

I don’t think you can compare KDB to Xavi or Iniesta. Completely different type of player.

While I agree it's premature to compare them just yet you have to admit there's similarities? KDB does give the ball away a little too much in comparison to Xavi and Iniesta. But then he does try and succeed with more killer balls. Silva is more comparable in my opinion. They are the best central midfield partnership currently in world football I'd argue.

Similarities in terms of style of play? Only Silva, not KDB and even David was routinely displaced by both Xavi & Iniesta on the NT level for years as he was more of the scoring midfielder - the player to break that final line to get into the box, something Xavi & Iniesta did very infrequently

Feel like it hasn't been that long but plenty of youtube vids out there of Xavi & Iniesta's partnership in midfield, you'll see just how different Silva & KDB are by comparison. Similar to what Pep had Iniesta & Xavi do however, KDB/Silva are asked to provide the scoring chances rather than make them themselves which takes advantage of their best footballing senses - the space & pass

Silva and KdB have done too little so far to deserve such comparison. Dave won a lot with NT, but his influence wasn't very significant. Meet here in 3-4 years.
In terms of pure skill Silva is far behind X&I.

In terms of throughball ability - can probably remind of Laudrup, though the latter IMO was even better in that regard.

Laudrup - my first (non City) footballing hero. Great shout, there are definite similarities between him and KDB with regards to vision, weight of pass and transitioning the team quickly from defence to attack.

Remember seeing xavi with about 4 players all tight on him in the centre circle, so calm on the ball, just turned the lot of them in circles and then played easy ball to puyol, the best and most gifted pair of midfielders I think there has ever been, probably ever will be aswell

While discussing the excellence of Xavi + Iniesta, shouldn't we be including the anchor which was Busquets. He was of paramount importance for that midfield trio.

While discussing the excellence of Xavi + Iniesta, shouldn't we be including the anchor which was Busquets. He was of paramount importance for that midfield trio.

That's the thing, Busquets allowed them to just stay between the lines high up the pitch and Sergio could recycle back to them. Plus, as the fullbacks pressed forward, Busquets dropped into a sweeper role

Remember seeing xavi with about 4 players all tight on him in the centre circle, so calm on the ball, just turned the lot of them in circles and then played easy ball to puyol, the best and most gifted pair of midfielders I think there has ever been, probably ever will be aswell

Absolutely. He's as unique, for me, as Messi - different players but really without peers in what they do. When Larsson was at Barcelona, he was asked about who impressed him the most and he immediately cited Xavi - no one could take the ball from him

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.