Kevin De Bruyne - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing that some people cannot see the bleedin obvious. KDB is truly world class absolutely no doubt.

Interesting that it is thought he needs to up his game or be replaced by 2 currently injured players who have never been seen in a match with a City shirt.

Mystic Meg ?

I think people are just being mislead by the fact he isn't scoring goals yet.

His overall performances have been really solid and he's still chipping in with assists, albeit through set-pieces. Don't forget he's had a tough old year after returning from a semi-serious knee injury, a Euro campaign with Belgium and now adapting to a new role within the team.

Once he's settled back into top form again and put one or two away he'll be racking up the goals again, no problem. Then everyone will forget how 'average' he's been these first few games.

I thought he was excellent on Sunday. He didn't reach the heights of Silva's first half play but I thought his game held together a bit better than Silva's in the second half. Clearly a lot more to come from him though and I'm surprised anyone is questioning whether he will play a big part in things under Pep.

No, you have missed the quote from Pep regarding DeBruyne as a player in the Bundesliga, in general, when he moved to City.

'Speaking ahead of Bayern’s trip to Wolfsburg in the German Cup, Guardiola, who won 14 major trophies in four years as Barcelona manager before moving to Bavaria, said: ‘How De Bruyne played over 18 months at Wolfsburg was madness'

And reports such as:
'Incoming Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has already had input on at least one of the club’s transfers, according to Spanish newspaper El Confidencial.

The report claims director of football Txiki Begiristain sought out Guardiola’s opinion before pressing ahead with the £55m deal to sign the Belgium international last summer.' which matches up exactly with the reports people were getting over here.

Of course not every signing was made with a view to being a mainstay in Pep's team, Pellegrini has to be allowed some transfers, but it's pretty obvious Pep was in the loop & that the ones who we signed for 50 mil who haven't even reached their peak yet, were signed with a view to playing under him. No point in signing players like that for a manager who you know, is out the door, & fucking about with their careers in the process, when you could easily sign someone else instead, who both managers would be happy with.

It's obvious that is the case & was obvious when various people were saying the same about Sterling. Clearly Pep wanted both.

Now if DeBruyne starts chucking his toys out of the pram when asked to do different roles, that will be a totally different matter.

But watching him sprinting back at fullback to rescue City's defence when we were going through a bad spell, will not be seen as a weakness by Guardiola. Nor will his part in all 3 goals. It's also telling that DeBruyne was put straight into the team, when clearly behind on fitness, yet others, such as Nasri, had to do extra work. Now DeBruyne will lose his place to them in Pep's first 11 ? Not a cat in hell's chance.

Unless there is a personality clash, DeBruyne will be at City long after Silva etc have gone. Possibly long after Pep has gone.

He is one of the best players in the world & will be one of City's top performers this season, & already is. And Pep knows it, that's why he asked for him.

Pep asked Txiki to break Barca's transfer record to bring Ibrahimovic to the club. He wanted a different kind of player to what he was used to to change the style of the team.

It didn't work out and he bombed him after 6 months.

As much as DeBruyne is a huge talent and Pep is a big admirer of his, even taking in to consideration that Pep requested specifically that we buy him, it doesn't make him bulletproof.

If Guardiola decides that KDB isn't the right fit for the team and we have other players who are more suitable, he won't continue to pick Kev just because he was instrumental in buying him.

I actually think DeBruyne is improving this season, he was excellent against West Ham. He's not really had a pre season so is just getting up to speed with fitness and match sharpness. He's also starting to get to grips with what's needed in that number 8 role.

Guardiola has said he sees DeBruyne playing more games wide than inside. So he's going to be in competition with the revitalised Sterling, Nolito and Sané.

He'll play a load of games for us and be a key player, but the idea that he's undroppable because Pep bought him, is misguided. Look at Thiago as another example. Pep will do what's best for the team - always.

Last edited:
Pep asked Txiki to break Barca's transfer record to bring Ibrahimovic to the club. He wanted a different kind of player to what he was used to to change the style of the team.

As much as DeBruyne is a huge talent and Pep is a big admirer of his, even taking in to consideration that Pep requested specifically that we buy him, it doesn't make him bulletproof.

If Guardiola decides that KDB isn't the right fit for the team and we have other players who are more suitable, he won't continue to pick Kev just because he was instrumental in buying him.

I actually think DeBruyne is improving this season, he was excellent against West Ham. He's not really had a pre season so is just getting up to speed with fitness and match sharpness. He's also starting to get to grips with what's needed in that number 8 role.

Guardiola has said he sees DeBruyne playing more games wide than inside. So he's going to be in competition with the revitalised Sterling, Nolito and Sané.

He'll play a load of games for us and be a key player, but the idea that he's unstoppable because Pep bought him, is misguided. Look at Thiago as another example. Pep will do what's best for the team - always.

What makes him bulletproof is his talent.

He'll play a load of games for us and be a key player, but the idea that he's unstoppable because Pep bought him, is misguided. Look at Thiago as another example. Pep will do what's best for the team - always.

I didn't say he unstoppable because Pep bought him.

I said Pep bought him because he thinks he's fucking brilliant, which he is, & is already one of our most effective players this season. So he'll play him imo & he'll be fantastic.

Zlatan is a twat, who does his own thing, is the main reason Pep binned him. If DeBruyne does the same, he'll be gone too. His sprinting back 60 yards to rescue City's defence on Sunday, in spite of looking a bit tired in the game at the time, suggests he's fully on board.

I didn't say he unstoppable because Pep bought him.

I said Pep bought him because he thinks he's fucking brilliant, which he is, & is already one of our most effective players this season. So he'll play him imo & he'll be fantastic.

Zlatan is a twat, who does his own thing, is the main reason Pep binned him. If DeBruyne does the same, he'll be gone too. His sprinting back 60 yards to rescue City's defence on Sunday, in spite of looking a bit tired in the game at the time, suggests he's fully on board.

Apologies, autocorrect did me there, it should have read "undroppable" not unstoppable.

KDB was absolutely brilliant against West Ham, dangerous in possession and worked his arse off when be didn't have the ball.

Personally I would keep him where he is, I think he's growing in to the role. It's Pep who's said he sees him playing more wide so it's going to be intersting to see who gives way because Sterling has been outstanding so far.

@BillyShears absolutely no question that De Bruyne is one of our 11 most talented players. I expect him to be a key player this year, barring injury I expect him to be in the top 5 for appearances this season.

The reason I'm saying he's not bulletproof is because Ibrahimovic had huge talent but Pep didn't think he was the right fit and did what was right for the team.

Muller is probably Bayern's best player and Guardiola dropped him for their biggest game of the season because he didn't think he was the right fit for the shape he wanted to play.

"Thiago or nothing" Pep said when he arrived at Bayern, but he ended up not being an automatic starter.

I expect DeBruyne to be a key player for us. But in his career so far, the only "bulletproof" / "undroppable" outfied players have been Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Lahm. All of those players were huge talents but also a perfect fit for every system Guardiola ever played and no one in the squad came anywhere near to challenging them for their spot.

As talented as DeBruyne is, arguably as talented as the group above, I don't think he's as perfect a fit for Guardiola's system as those other players. He also has talent closer to his own to compete with compared with that group. Silva, Gundogan and even Nasri are very healthy competition for him at number 8, and Sterling, Nolito and Sané are healthy competition for him out wide.

Personally the only outfeild player I see as undroppable at the moment is Stones.

So for me DeBruyne is going to be a key player for us this season, but "bulletproof" or "undroppable"? Not quite.

Undroppable is the wrong word. Nobody at our team is undroppable. But some people are saying here as if he's just some kind of a stopgap until gundogan and sane are healthy are just crazy. He's not undroppable but he's right up there in terms of pecking order. I've said many times, he would start for Barca, Bayern, and Madrid no question.

Front six is currently this:

KDB Fernandinho Silva
Sterling Aguero Nolito

KDB was in for the frustrating but swift footed Navas.

How do we think the end of season will pan out? This maybe:

KDB Gündogan Silva
Sterling Aguero Sane

And what about the other 7?!????

Yaya Delph Fernando Fernandinho
Navas Iheanacho Gabriel

Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.