Kids’ football issue - advice needed

lighten up jeez, over-reaction from everyone in a pc world gone mad. just get on with it, give the kid,coach and mum a break. being this serious at this time a young boy could lose interest in the game.

Fucking hell. U8's, who gives a fuck if they're late for training.

no Disrespect but sounds like he should find another team where they remember what kids Footy is about

i know a lot of you will have been or still will be, involved in youth football. I want to get an idea of how people view the issue going on in my club at the moment.

One of the teams (under 8’s) has a newish coach. He seems ok but possibly a bit cock sure of himself. He came to me a couple of weeks ago for advice. A player keeps turning up for training late, matches occasionally and if the weather is bad, isn’t keen on going on. His mum has also been speaking on behalf of the other parents saying the coach is asking for too much for subs.

I advised the coach to talk to the mum (whose fault it ultimately is for the boy being late) to say he can’t continue this way and there needs to be an improvement or he might not be re-signed in the summer.

At the very next training session, before there was any conversation, the boy was late. The coach has told him not to bother coming back.

There’s been a bit of an argument since and the coach has accepted that he has made a mistake and let the boy come back.

We now have one side saying the coach should be kicked out for treating a 7 year old like this. The other side are saying he knows he’s made a mistake and should be allowed to continue.

I do believe that he is only admitting to the mistake because he’s been pulled about it and has he been allowed, the kid would remain kicked out.

What does the court of the Kippax Kings think?

He didn't make a mistake in the first place, if football is between 5-6 or whatever people should be down 15 minutes or so before hand to get changed and be ready, if the stupid parent is arriving after the start time then I'm sorry it is her that is at fault, boys of that age are easily distracted and if you have just set the session off and then have to explain it all for little timmy who has just arrived late as per usual then it is always going to piss you off.

As for the boy not wanting to play in the rain then it is to early for him to be going to organised sports and it may be best to try again in a years time for him tbh.

As for the subs part you failed to mention how much this was, I would say couple of pound each usually covers it, all depends if you are hiring a pitch to play on through the winter months, these are not cheap nowadays.

He didn't make a mistake in the first place, if football is between 5-6 or whatever people should be down 15 minutes or so before hand to get changed and be ready, if the stupid parent is arriving after the start time then I'm sorry it is her that is at fault, boys of that age are easily distracted and if you have just set the session off and then have to explain it all for little timmy who has just arrived late as per usual then it is always going to piss you off.

As for the boy not wanting to play in the rain then it is to early for him to be going to organised sports and it may be best to try again in a years time for him tbh.

As for the subs part you failed to mention how much this was, I would say couple of pound each usually covers it, all depends if you are hiring a pitch to play on through the winter months, these are not cheap nowadays.
You’ve clearly not done any coaching yourself.

Even if it is U8's there has to be some rules, if they are given a time to be there by and are constantly late it can't be ignored. That said it should be addressed with the parents, it isn't going to be the kids fault they are late at that age.

I can understand them not liking playing in the rain, I never did, but I loved football so much growing up that it could've been raining bricks and I'd have still been out there.

Can appreciate difficult when you are coach though as everyone is different, the kid needs the love of football bringing out, don't know how you achieve that, but I would've been hounding my mum to get there earlier if I late every week.

So tough call, the coach should not be banning or taking it out on the kid, but at same time kid can't be cut any slack that others aren't getting too, got to be fair to all. Also the kid needs to enjoy it, reading between the lines it sounds like a bit of a chore for mother and child at the moment and football should never been a chore

I help coach at under 9 level, during the poor weather we've had only a 30-35% turnout, players turning up late ( if at all!)
Training is on Saturday morning, and games are on Sunday, either at home, or within a 30 min drive, we give out plenty of information for parents to get their kids to the game on time, but 2-3 out of the 7 we need to play are always late, but what can you do? it's not the kids fault! The parents have been told numerous times to get their kids their on time, but it's a difficult line to tread, it's supposed to be fun for all involved at this level, and if you come on to heavy, they will not enjoy it, and leave.
I got thrown in at the deep end, originally a parent just bringing his son every weekend, to being asked to help out, then becoming the co-coach of the 3rd team which my son plays in ( my son is the biggest pain to coach, so the rest are a dream compared!) my co-coach is in the Army, and is away half the time, so I end up ferrying other parents kids to games, we have had kids dropping out 30 mins before a game kicks off, and had to play a 7 a side game with 6 players on 2 occasions( we won both!)
It's a fine line to tread, and can be very frustrating considering you are donating your free time to do this, but I try to foster a good team ethic in the kids, who have been thrown together as a team only in the bast 4 months, there have been on pitch arguments between players, but they have now bonded and will fight for each other on the pitch.
It's all part of the sacrifice, I'm only doing it for my own kid, but I'd be a lier if I said I didn't enjoy it.

You’ve clearly not done any coaching yourself.

Clearly you just don't like a different opinion, opinions for which you had asked for btw, so no real need for your snide reply.

I coached a team for nearly 7 years and never had one boy ever refuse to play in the rain, not one, hell for some of them it seemed to be more part of the fun in how dirty they could make themselves, much to the parents horror, which again is quite likely that kids problem.

We did have several parents who arrived late all the time and I can't begin to describe how frustrating that is, for some it didn't matter how many times you would politely say can you get them down 5/10 mins before the start time so we can be ready to go and get a full hour in.

Like I said it is the parents fault not the boys but at the end of the day it is still a disruption and coupled with the fact he doesn't like playing in the rain/bad weather then how can you set up on a match day not knowing if you are going to have a team, maybe the guy thought it best to let the one lad go to make it better for the other 13 or so kids that want to learn and play and have fun ?

Also no mention of the subs issue, which in some ways was a vague accusation of over charging to make a profit for himself but with out a cost nobody can comment.

You will no doubt do what you want with the "cock sure" coach that you don't really like.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.