Kids’ football issue - advice needed

Clearly you just don't like a different opinion, opinions for which you had asked for btw, so no real need for your snide reply.

I coached a team for nearly 7 years and never had one boy ever refuse to play in the rain, not one, hell for some of them it seemed to be more part of the fun in how dirty they could make themselves, much to the parents horror, which again is quite likely that kids problem.

We did have several parents who arrived late all the time and I can't begin to describe how frustrating that is, for some it didn't matter how many times you would politely say can you get them down 5/10 mins before the start time so we can be ready to go and get a full hour in.

Like I said it is the parents fault not the boys but at the end of the day it is still a disruption and coupled with the fact he doesn't like playing in the rain/bad weather then how can you set up on a match day not knowing if you are going to have a team, maybe the guy thought it best to let the one lad go to make it better for the other 13 or so kids that want to learn and play and have fun ?

Also no mention of the subs issue, which in some ways was a vague accusation of over charging to make a profit for himself but with out a cost nobody can comment.

You will no doubt do what you want with the "cock sure" coach that you don't really like.

Don’t get your knickers in a twist. I started to reply but then had to put my phone down. I’ll give you a proper answer later. You’re jumping to a lot of conclusions here.

remember GUBOG campaign......give us back our game......I would recommend the coach try's foot4kids website

its a kid just playing footy there aren't even leagues until they are at under 9's. why punish a kid who has no control over what time his parent takes him to football.
Why not say training starts at 6pm when it really is 6:15 !
once the league starts at under9's tell every one to arrive 45 minutes before kick of.
when I ran my team we didn't charge for training only for matches
as for the coach perhaps once this coach has done his level1 badge that might help him to understand kids football better, all good clubs will put the coach on level 1 at least
or perhaps the mother should look for a Chartered Standard Club were most of the coaches will have a minimum of level 1 badges
to many coaches and parents think kids football is a mini premier league........
remember they are kids and perhaps don't train in bad weather you have a duty of care to the kids

Last edited:
I think for the time being at least, the kid is back in at least until the summer. If there’s no improvement then the coach doesn’t need to sign him back up.

There’s two schools of thought about the coach now though. Should he be given another chance or has he gone against advice from the Welfare Officer (me) and ruthlessly kicked a kid out and should be replaced as coach?

if you are the Welfare Officer of the club why weren't the rules of the club spelt out to the coach when he started. If you had told the coach what to do and how you expect the club to be run and he ignored it than as a club you should take action against the coach . By all means give the coach another chance but at least let the other parents that the club have spoken to the coach about his behaviour. it could all be done in a friendly manor nothing to formal

Last edited:
i assume this coach has done the safeguarding children course but doesn't seem to have taken everything on board.
Your advice was correct and should have been followed.If this happened at my club I would expect the parent to contact the welfare officer for an explanation.
Constant lateness can disrupt sessions and also match days when you are about to kick off and another player appears.
It is the parent and only the parents fault and she is the one who needs educating. She may have work issues etc but if explained then can be taken into account.
The coach was wrong and needs further education as to how to handle situations like this particularly for this age group.
Its fun its children playing football with their friends and making new friends .
It is not as easy as getting parents to help as they need a DBS check as minimum and ideally safeguarding children and Emergency first aid course according to FA guidelines.
As for the subs ours are £15 per month throughout the year set up on standing order this is the same for under 5s to open age. Its the cheapest rate for child minding I have ever seen and the children are learning and enjoying themselves.

+1 top post

This is one of the most disturbing stories I have heard for a long time. To be clear - the simple facts of this story are a grown man humiliates and bullies a 7 year old boy for being late - something that he has no control over.

There is no excuse. He should be sacked immediately and stopped from coaching kids. If he did this in any other walk of life he would be facing very severe action. Football is in the dark ages and we are only just beginning to scratch the surface of the abuse carried out by shit for brains coaches as they live out their fantasies at the expense of our kids. I have spent some time watching the Chelsea Academy teams play. No parents are allowed. The coaches are silent during the game other than the odd thumbs up and a little coaching at half time. The kids are happy, relaxed and playing without pressure.

It is million miles away from the wannabe Peps that we see ranting at our children from the sidelines in the parks every weekend.

He didn't make a mistake in the first place, if football is between 5-6 or whatever people should be down 15 minutes or so before hand to get changed and be ready, if the stupid parent is arriving after the start time then I'm sorry it is her that is at fault, boys of that age are easily distracted and if you have just set the session off and then have to explain it all for little timmy who has just arrived late as per usual then it is always going to piss you off.

As for the boy not wanting to play in the rain then it is to early for him to be going to organised sports and it may be best to try again in a years time for him tbh.

As for the subs part you failed to mention how much this was, I would say couple of pound each usually covers it, all depends if you are hiring a pitch to play on through the winter months, these are not cheap nowadays.

I'd agree with this.

This is one of the most disturbing stories I have heard for a long time. To be clear - the simple facts of this story are a grown man humiliates and bullies a 7 year old boy for being late - something that he has no control over.

There is no excuse. He should be sacked immediately and stopped from coaching kids. If he did this in any other walk of life he would be facing very severe action. Football is in the dark ages and we are only just beginning to scratch the surface of the abuse carried out by shit for brains coaches as they live out their fantasies at the expense of our kids. I have spent some time watching the Chelsea Academy teams play. No parents are allowed. The coaches are silent during the game other than the odd thumbs up and a little coaching at half time. The kids are happy, relaxed and playing without pressure.

It is million miles away from the wannabe Peps that we see ranting at our children from the sidelines in the parks every weekend.

A great post

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.