King of Assists

Marvin

I checked the Premier League's Assists table expecting to see Raheem at or near the top.

He was 11th. De Bruyne leads the Premier League assists which is very impressive seeing as this season City are not top scorers. I expected he'd be top, but I thought Sterling would be higher.

De bruyne has 9 assists and Sterling 5 which is the 2nd best at City. It's my impression that Sterling is involved in a lot of City's goals and I thought it would be a lot higher than that.

How do they collate the stats about footballers: km run, assists, tackles made, shots on goal etc. Does one person watch all the games and key it all in. I can see that some kind of GPS could do the running, but the tackling and shooting, chance creation etc sounds like it might be a manual task.

I checked the Premier League's Assists table expecting to see Raheem at or near the top.

He was 11th. De Bruyne leads the Premier League assists which is very impressive seeing as this season City are not top scorers. I expected he'd be top, but I thought Sterling would be higher.

De bruyne has 9 assists and Sterling 5 which is the 2nd best at City. It's my impression that Sterling is involved in a lot of City's goals and I thought it would be a lot higher than that.

How do they collate the stats about footballers: km run, assists, tackles made, shots on goal etc. Does one person watch all the games and key it all in. I can see that some kind of GPS could do the running, but the tackling and shooting, chance creation etc sounds like it might be a manual task.
Raz doesn't get an assist for winning penalties, that would add 3 or 4 onto his total at least. He's also got a few in the cups and Europe.

Mmmm, interesting title....

I think that stat discounts how involved he is in the 1st stage, it's nearer to 20...

Kev has disappointed this year in terms of goals scored, a guy with technique/quality like him should be nearer to 15+ already this season (all comps), I genuinely think fatherhood has played a massive part in his impact this year, however, signs are he's gaining momentum again...

Raz is priceless, he's been robbed of 4/5 pens this year, add that to the ones earned and he'd be up there if they actually counted pens as assists!

I think that stat discounts how involved he is in the 1st stage, it's nearer to 20...

Kev has disappointed this year in terms of goals scored, a guy with technique/quality like him should be nearer to 15+ already this season (all comps), I genuinely think fatherhood has played a massive part in his impact this year, however, signs are he's gaining momentum again...

Raz is priceless, he's been robbed of 4/5 pens this year, add that to the ones earned and he'd be up there if they actually counted pens as assists!
It's very strange that they don't, OK I understand why they wouldn't count free kicks as the vast majority of the work is still to be done but surely teeing someone up with a one on one with the Keeper from 12 yards is worth as much as or more than lumping a cross into the box that someone gets a head on and scores?

It's very strange that they don't, OK I understand why they wouldn't count free kicks as the vast majority of the work is still to be done but surely teeing someone up with a one on one with the Keeper from 12 yards is worth as much as or more than lumping a cross into the box that someone gets a head on and scores?

Agreed, there's no logic to it as it's undoubtedly an assist.... Seems like lazy statisticians tbh, having to differentiate the types of penalties, handball, dives etc etc

Which they should.

However, chances created is the better stat, anyway, as it is not contingent on the receiving player's ability to finish. Unfortunately, only a few services track those and they all seem to put that stat behind a pay wall (Opta being one of them).

Beyond that, Key Passes Per Game as also a decent baseline measure of contribution and, according to WhoScored, it goes Kevin (3 KPPG), David (2.2), Raheem (1.5). And, unfortunately for us, the fourth placed player would likely be even higher up that list if not for his long term injury.

Extra points go to the poster that guesses the player ranked 5th in our squad for Key Passes Per Game (without looking on WhoScored, honour rules).

Last edited:
I remember a while back seeing a website that also records secondary assists (i.e. the pass to the player who assists the goal). It'd be interesting to see that one, because no doubt Dave would be pretty high up on it.

I remember a while back seeing a website that also records secondary assists (i.e. the pass to the player who assists the goal). It'd be interesting to see that one, because no doubt Dave would be pretty high up on it.
Key Pass—see above.

Which they should.

However, chances created is the better stat, anyway, as it is not contingent on the receiving player's ability to finish. Unfortunately, only a few services track those and they all seem to put that stat behind a pay wall (Opta being one of them).

Beyond that, Key Passes Per Game as also a decent baseline measure of contribution and, according to WhoScored, it goes Kevin (3 KPPG), David (2.2), Raheem (1.5). And, unfortunately for us, the fourth placed player would likely be even higher up that list if not for his long term injury.

Extra points go to the poster that guesses the player ranked 5th in our squad for Key Passes Per Game (without looking on WhoScored, honour rules).
Kolarov

Hmmmm

Transfermarket has Sterling on 9 Premier League assists.

I assumed that meant they counted penalties won but the when I looked at his stats for the cup games they've only credited him with 1 assist against West Ham.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.