Klinsmann sacked. Bruce Arena named head coach of US national team

NanaToure42

After the embarrassing lose to Costa Rica I'm not shocked, but heading into the hex I thought Jurgen was going to be the coach through the WC in Russia 2018. To be honest, I never really like Jurgen as the coach of the USMNT. Didn't like how he handled the Landon Donovan situation, tactically I thought he got it wrong more often than not, and I thought his team selection was often questionable. He also came off as somewhat smug in my opinion.

Bruce Arena has been a great coach for a while now with an impressive resume. He was the coach of DC United when I was a kid and they won the first 2 MLS Cups back in the 90s. Something I'll remember for the rest of my life. I've met him a few times back in the day and he was always polite, friendly and engaged. I suppose most coaches are polite and friendly to their fans especially when they're about 10 years old, but still, good dude by many accounts.

To be honest, I don't have a clue if Bruce Arena will be a good fit for the USMNT in 2016. I know they have some work to do to get to Russia after last week. I've been torn for years now if US Soccer should bring in a foreigner, who has experience coaching at the highest level, or hire an American with knowledge of the inner workings of player development and the culture of soccer in the US.

Hoping for the best.

Like you, I thought Klinsmann would manage through the world cup, but I am not surprised at his sacking. While I don't think Arena is who they should have brought in, I think they view him as a stable manager who can be there at least through the world cup to then look at who his successor will be. At the end of the day, the American team doesn't have the quality to compete at the world stage, but they really should be finishing first or second in most WC qualifying and Gold Cup formats. Hopefully the likes of Pulisic can help the team move up in the pecking order over the next decade but until I see it I won't expect anything more from the USMNT other than WC appearances and potentially an appearance in the last 16.

Was being talked up as Liverpool boss couple of seasons ago. Any ideas why he lost his way with the US after doing such a good job with Germany?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.